Gigabit Ethernet over cat5?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I am reading a ComTIA Network+ guide, and it says that I can use cat5 media for Gigabit Ethernet. Is that correct? I thought I needed cat5e or cat6 for 1000 baseT? Can you clue me in here? I have 50 Macs (and servers) with 10/100/1000 NICS, but my switches are 10/100. If all I need to do is go buy a couple new 10/100/1000 switches then COOL! My Ethernet runs are cat5e already.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    Short answer: Your current cabling is fine. Just buy new switches.

The higher grade cable, IIRC, has the copper coiled tighter making it better for longer runs. The cable you have running currently is perfectly OK for gigabit ethernet. For longer runs, however, you'd probably want to upgrade your cabling.

I've found it is a lot like buying AV cables for your home entertainment system, as I so recently found it when dropping an unexpected amount of money on cabling for this...

(thread officially hijacked!)
  • Reply 2 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

(thread officially hijacked!)

Bah... a real man would have a Bang & Olufsen setup, costing more money with less quality, but look real cool in the process.

How long (or short) can Cat5 cables be to carry gigibit Ethernet?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by GardenOfEarthlyDelights

Bah... a real man would have a Bang & Olufsen setup, costing more money with less quality, but look real cool in the process.

How long (or short) can Cat5 cables be to carry gigibit Ethernet?

I'm pretty sure they can all do gigabit ethernet. I don't have any references for lengths handy though...

The TV is the only part of my system that is not B&O The two speakers are, and not pictured is my Beosound 9000 CD changer In regards to less quality, I love it when people say this... compared to what?
  • Reply 4 of 6
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    </topic>

Watch out Vash! Bobby has a gun!

<topic>
  • Reply 5 of 6
    kennethkenneth Posts: 832member
    According to my PowerMac setup guide, Apple suggested;

Follow these guidelines when selecting a cable for your network:

Type of twisted-pair Ethernet Use twisted-pair cable types

10 Mbps....................Category 3, 5, or 6

100/1000 Mbps.........Category 5 or 6

It also talks about the half/full-duplex matter as well.

Currently, I'm using a 350Mhz-rated Cat5e cable for my T1 connection, which is fine.

I found one article about the cable length and the preparation.

Prepare for Gigabit Ethernet
  • Reply 6 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by M3D Jack

In regards to less quality, I love it when people say this... compared to what?

Yeah, it's all relative, isn't it?

Besides, I'm tone deaf, so what do I know? I couldn't carry a tune if you put it in my iPod.

There's an €18,000 B&O tv at the local B&O store by me. I like to go watch stuff on it. The salesman thinks I'm joking that I'd buy it, except that I can't fit it in my apartment. The wife knows better, so I'm not allowed there.

[edit: doesn't the internet understand euro (&#8364)?]