Is there Itunes for PC?

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Just wondering. I'm about to dump about 70 Gb of Mp3s onto a new HP Media Center for the downstairs entertainment room and I wondered if there was any recommendations for music management programs that offer the same or similar features as Itunes. Itunes Rocks!!

Mark Clark

[email protected]8)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    The closest thing is probably Musicmatch, since Apple actually ships that with the Windows iPod. They also had the "Auto DJ" feature before iTunes got Smart Playlists.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    You should try both Musicmatch and Windows Media Player 9. Although WMP 9 is a bit of MS bloatware, if you reduce down some of the features and only use it for MP3s it's pretty good. It even has the option to remove files from your music folder if you delete them from your library, and I think iTunes is the only other one that does that. Anyway, it's not nearly as easy to use as iTunes but I think it's still pretty good, and there are lots of ways to organize music (including smart playlists just like iTunes). I haven't tried Musicmatch. And since it's a Windows machine, there's probably at least 5x as many MP3 programs as there are for Macs, so you should probably try a bunch of 'em.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

You should try both Musicmatch and Windows Media Player 9. Although WMP 9 is a bit of MS bloatware, if you reduce down some of the features and only use it for MP3s it's pretty good. It even has the option to remove files from your music folder if you delete them from your library, and I think iTunes is the only other one that does that. Anyway, it's not nearly as easy to use as iTunes but I think it's still pretty good, and there are lots of ways to organize music (including smart playlists just like iTunes). I haven't tried Musicmatch. And since it's a Windows machine, there's probably at least 5x as many MP3 programs as there are for Macs, so you should probably try a bunch of 'em.

I like WMP 9 over Musicmatch. I find that there is a lot of skipping of MP3's when I do heavy CPU stuff on my Sony Notebook. WMP on the otherhand, does not.
  • Reply 4 of 15
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    not unless its a mac

that is wha makes mac special! there was somone distributing an iTunes look alike but not sure how that actually worked
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

not unless its a mac

that is wha makes mac special! there was somone distributing an iTunes look alike but not sure how that actually worked

Any screenshots of that thing? Or did it look exactly like iTunes?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

Any screenshots of that thing? Or did it look exactly like iTunes?

it was a whole theme for PC's to make it look liek aqua, the people made a mp3 and email program to look like Mail.app and iTunes.app

it looked extremely close to aqua, i think that website went down though
  • Reply 7 of 15
    mox358mox358 Posts: 21member
    for a while, i remember a linux port of itunes called "sumi" - it was made by tex9 software. you might see if there is a windows port...i really haven't checked up on it in a while.

i used to run it on my pc - dual booted with xp and redhat... but xp crashed the entire system and destroyed the boot sector... imagine that.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    That MP3 software that looks like iTunes... it looks just like iTunes, but it doesn't work anything like it.
  • Reply 9 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

it looked extremely close to aqua, i think that website went down though

http://www.aqua-soft.org

They've long since given up the aqua development suite. Most of the software ran like crap anyway. The apps all had the same clunky Windows behaviors and were VERY SLOW and buggy. At best you could call the software "skins" with hacks to do things like put the menubar at the top of the screen.

As for an iTunes skin:

http://www.customize.org/details/23553
  • Reply 10 of 15
    i can't imagine it would be hard to make the itunes set up, i mean a library with easily accessable playlists in the same organization as iTunes

that does look somewhat like aqua...perhaps best i've seen
  • Reply 11 of 15
    Winamp works well, and they have a whole mess of skins available.

www.winamp.com

I use it on my work machine and haven't had any issues yet.
  • Reply 12 of 15
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Are they still developing winamp for the mac?
  • Reply 13 of 15
    There was a beta a few months ago, but I never tried it. I was, and still am, pretty happy with Itunes.

Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

Are they still developing winamp for the mac?

• Reply 14 of 15
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    Here is a screen snap of some more of what Brad was talking about. Not that I ever visit SpyMac, I just came across that yesterday in a search for AppleWorks 6.2.7 on Google.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BigMcLargehuge

There was a beta a few months ago, but I never tried it. I was, and still am, pretty happy with Itunes.

Yup, me too. I guess they found out it wasn't worth the time and effort to port winamp to the mac as they would face rather tough competition from iTunes. Options are still nice though. Oh, and they would have to call it something else too.