Which Powerbooks have the backlit keyboard?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I'm looking to buy a new Powerbook and I was planning on getting the 15 inch. My question is: Does the 15 inch have the backlit keyboard or is it only the 17 inch?

If it's only the 17, does anyone know why? I would actually wait to buy the 15-inch if there were a possibility a new backlit keyboard 15 would be introduced soon.

I was just curious.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Only the 17" has the backlit keyboard, and is the first/currently only PB to have it. The 15" PB hasn't been updated in several months, and thus doesn't have it. I would guess that it may pop up in a future revision.
  • Reply 2 of 7
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    How likely is it that the next 15" PowerBook will be a smaller version of the 17" one? \
  • Reply 3 of 7
    gargoylegargoyle Posts: 660member
    I suppose that depends on where the ambient light sensor is. If its part of the keyboard, say between two keys or at the top, then you might be able to swap the keybards.

The 17" kb looks the same as the 15, but I think the sensor might be somewhere else on the PB - You would risk having a keyboard that flashed in sequence with your hand movements if the sensor was somewhere between the keys.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    when i stopped at the apple store to check out lapzilla, i was rather dissapointed that they had no real way to demo the keybaord lighting up. i couldnt even find where the light sensors were so i could try it my self
  • Reply 5 of 7
    skalmanskalman Posts: 42member
    There is one sensor in each speaker bay that controls the backlit keyboard and the screen brightness.
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Thanks everybody for the help!
  • Reply 7 of 7
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    if you cover both speakers the keys light up you can not really see the effect in a lit up room. In a low light area it is awesome. the screen dims and the keys light up. and if you tilt the screen back a bit you can see the keys even better.

there is a chance that the new 15 will have the backlit display. but it may be reserved for the Lapzilla since it is so new. you may want to wait a month and see what the new keyboard is like.

though i would not buy a 17 just for the keyboard. in the long run firewire 800 will be more useful. Though i must say so far this 17 is the most stable machine i have ever had.