Stupid question re: DSL

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am pretty sure that answer will be "no", but I would rather ask than not know for sure.

I will be moving over the next week or two and I plan on getting DSL service very soon. It will be used on my iMac.

A friend of mine (who will be sharing the new house with me) has a PC and plans on using the DSL line as well.

From everything I hear, a router between my mac and his PC should allow us both to use the DSL service.

Here is the problem, My computer will be set-up in my room on the 2nd floor, while my buddy wants his PC placed in the basement. Here comes the stupid question: Is there any way to use 2 separate DSL modems on the same line?

Like I said, I am pretty sure that the answer is no - if that is the case, can someone please recommend the best way to hook up the machine in the basement to the DSL line. Would we have to go wireless, and if so - do I need airport on my Mac, or will only the PC require the wireless Ethernet card?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    The answer is, as you guessed, no.

Get a DSL router and string some cat5 Ethernet cable around: that stuff is good for 100 metres.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    rhoqrhoq Posts: 190member
    Thank you very much for your help.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    remember, there is no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people . and if 100m isn't enough for you, (who the hell knows how big a meter is anyway?) you can put a repeater on the line to extend it further. i aint certain, but i'm pretty sure any old hub can be used as a repeater (plugging the src end into the uplink, and a patch from any of the other ports along to the final destination). now that i think about it, 100m is somewher along the size of a football field, so u probably dont need a repeater, but incase you ever expand the space between ur computers, now you know.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    If you don't want to string cat5 all over, you could go wireless (expensive) or in your situation, you may try a Powerline network.