120 gb Wireless External Hard Drive

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Here's the Link to Martian Technologies Site . This is great i have been wanting or thinking about something like this for a while now and here it is. I have an ibook

and use external hard drives for backup and storage. I want to get wifi on the home network but then i'll still be connected. I had an idea of somehow rigging one of my external drive enclosers with a network card or something equalvalent. Now if only they could put a firewire bus on this thing i will be even more happy. It has a usb port for printers, shouldnt be to difficult to stick a firewire port on there.

Thoughts anyone?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    just shot off an email:
    Quote:

Martian Tech Support Team-

I just read about your network HD, looks great!

I just have a few issues... would it be possible to:

A)build a cable modem into this device?

B)build a wireless base station into this device?

C)hook this device up to the TV and stereo to stream content from the HDs to the stereo/screen?

are any of these options in active development?

What about adding multiple hard drives internally or via an external ports such as USB or Firewire?

Great product so far, but for what you are offering right now it is a bit on the expensive side... maybe if you implemented one or two of the things I mentioned above (especially A & B and of course 802.11g support as well)... I would love to buy thin device for my dorm next year instead of a TiVo! (We wouldn't really use the TiVo to record TV per se, so this would make perfect sense...except that this option costs more then a TiVo with lifetime support...)

Anyways, I'll keep an eye on you guys.

-Paul

A base station is the logical next step and really shouldn't be that hard, they already have an ethernet port... a DSL modem/cable modem would be icing... (although not terribly important)

the killer feature would be streaming support to the TV and stereo...

Plus rendezvous is supported throughout!

too bad its $500 for just 120 gigs... maybe $500 for close to 200 gigs or a base station included... \ I have a few months to wait it out i guess
  • Reply 2 of 2
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Wouldn't that be sickly slow? Not nearly fast enough for constant access, I think. AE would be another thing, though.