There better be another iBook update-- SOON.

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I have never been more dissapointed in Apple. Let's see...

Only a 100 MHz speed bump!? Shame, shame.

No airport extreme? COME ON! Most potential iBook buyers had been waiting for this technology to buy, and now another 6 months will pass.

FW 800-- no surprise.

The same graphics card? *sigh*

I am sorry, but I expect better from our beloved Apple. However, I think that the 12" Powerbook is to blame in several ways.

1. The iBook could not exceed the 867 MHz Powerbook by too much, because then the Powerbook would be in the same position as the Powermac a couple years back: the iMac could have been bumped to a higher MHz rating, but then it would have exceeded the Powermac by 100 MHz or so.

2.The iBook could not exceed the 12"'s GPU RAM.

And so on...

However, I have high hopes for the next iBook: a G4 processor, Airport X, *maybe* FW800. But right now, I can only see the present. Oh, well. \

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    majormattmajormatt Posts: 1,077member
    Werent the last time the iBooks were updated late November?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

However, I have high hopes for the next iBook: a G4 processor, Airport X, *maybe* FW800. But right now, I can only see the present. Oh, well. \

I was kind of surprised that they did not come out with Airport Extreme as well, but I almost expected the other stuff from what Apple actually released. The next revision is probably going to be the big one. I think that the price went down, so that is good.
  • Reply 3 of 9
    frostymmbfrostymmb Posts: 131member
    They want to sell 12" PowerBooks, so they're going to keep the iBook inferior in comparison. Yes, the performance of the iBook is inferior to the 12" PB, despite what some non-believers think. Those that want a small portable and need the performance will almost be forced to pay more for a PowerBook.

I do agree with those of you who say a 100mhz update sucks. It's pretty paltry.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    I thought it was a good incremental update...not for obsessive Apple types like most of us, but in that the low-end came up so much. That's a nice machine for $1000.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac OS X Addict

I was kind of surprised that they did not come out with Airport Extreme as well, but I almost expected the other stuff from what Apple actually released. The next revision is probably going to be the big one. I think that the price went down, so that is good.

Maybe there is a correlation between G4's and Airport extreme and builtin bluetooth?

NAH! Couldn't be, really, maybe they wantedd to make people excited and buy some iBooks, they should have added the newer features, however, they should have
  • Reply 6 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I don't see it. iBook's are pretty much in a holding pattern untill the PB's move on to 970's and/or .13u G4's.

When they do finally move on, they'll probably look like the 12" PowerBook looks now (except for faster G4 speeds). Another 6-12 months, depending.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    Apple has a bit of a problem in it's laptop line.

I don't know who would buy a 14"iBook when you can spend a few hundred dollars more and get a 15" Powerbook that can do so much more. Then again, I don't know why anyone would get a 15" Powerbook when a new one is just around the corner.

The sooner a G4 replacement is available, the sooner this problem gets rectified.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    I want something for nothing! Waaaaaaaa! I'm a small child!

Try getting anything comparable to the iBook for the same price from a PC maker. You won't.

Barto
  • Reply 9 of 9