Oil forever?

thttht
Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Hmm...

Anything into Oil

Technological savvy could turn 600 million tons of turkey guts and other waste into 4 billion barrels of light Texas crude each year

By Brad Lemley

... the thermal depolymerization process, or TDP. The process is designed to handle almost any waste product imaginable, including turkey offal, tires, plastic bottles, harbor-dredged muck, old computers, municipal garbage, cornstalks, paper-pulp effluent, infectious medical waste, oil-refinery residues, even biological weapons such as anthrax spores. According to Appel, waste goes in one end and comes out the other as three products, all valuable and environmentally benign: high-quality oil, clean-burning gas, and purified minerals that can be used as fuels, fertilizers, or specialty chemicals for manufacturing.

... If a 175-pound man fell into one end, he would come out the other end as 38 pounds of oil, 7 pounds of gas, and 7 pounds of minerals, as well as 123 pounds of sterilized water. While no one plans to put people into a thermal depolymerization machine, an intimate human creation could become a prime feedstock. "There is no reason why we can't turn sewage, including human excrement, into a glorious oil," says engineer Terry Adams, a project consultant.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 40
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    yeah, the really nice ones they have now are also completely contained, and use no chemicals. just heat and pressure.
  • Reply 2 of 40
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member

By using the depolymerization process you can turn anything into oil FLAVIN
  • Reply 3 of 40
    Okay now that I've finished reading it .... it sounds too good to be true.
  • Reply 4 of 40
    Crude Oil looks alot better than this.............

Appearance wise that is.
  • Reply 5 of 40
    If we use oil from Turkey guts, won't our cars then all fall asleep?
  • Reply 6 of 40
    Quote:

Okay now that I've finished reading it .... it sounds too good to be true.

nah, i was at a meeting about it today. it's real, and it's happening, although slowly.

the main goal is finding ways to produce energy w/o releasing CO2 that's already bound up in fossil fuels. it's not nearly as bad to produce fuels from plant and animal matter, since they're floating CO2 storage anyway.

this has been happening for a while, but it's not until recently that they found a way to do the entire process w/o chemicals and in an entirely sealed system. that's a huge leap forward.

give them some time and they'll drive the costs down, and everyone's happy.
  • Reply 7 of 40
    Yea. I looked into it some more. My bias was to search for .edu sites that had links to research. They are there so I guess it's "real". The only issue is how efficient they are thermodynamically I guess.
  • Reply 8 of 40
    man, i could see the mob investing in one of these suckers though. what a great way to get rid of bodies.

just pop 'em in and resell 'em on the market to chemical companies.

scientists are doing some really kickass stuff lately with fuel sources.
  • Reply 9 of 40
    stunnedstunned Posts: 1,096member
    Let's hope such a process will turn out to be cost-effective.
  • Reply 10 of 40
    Another thing to consider. This will be a good thing for US security. Now if you can get all the oil you need from waste, you won't need the middle east. What will it mean when all those countries don't have an endless supply of money? I think middle east terrorism will not be as much of a problem with out all the financial backing it gets from oil.
  • Reply 11 of 40
    I'm still not convinced that getting the world off of arab oil will solve anything in that region. Countries like Saudi Arabia have a population that needs oil to survive. Imagine how pissed off and angry they will be when they don't have the steady flow of cash coming in!
  • Reply 12 of 40
    fat and lazy people are much less of a threat than starving people with nothing to lose.
  • Reply 13 of 40
    Yes they will be mad, but do you think that if we can get oil domestically that we won't? There is going to come a time that the world will not be dependent on oil from the middle east. Its just a question of when that time comes. With this advancement it seems like sooner rather than later.

Question: (I'm not sure of the answer.) How much of a problem is Africa from a terrorist stand point? And if they are, where do they get their financial backing? Just curious.
  • Reply 14 of 40
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Poor people overseas are not dangerous to us, but is that how we should view the world?

On-topic:

That's the coolest thing I've read in a while. Why is the gubbmint not going apeshit over this and throwing bouceaup fish at it?
  • Reply 15 of 40
    Quote:

That's the coolest thing I've read in a while. Why is the gubbmint not going apeshit over this and throwing bouceaup fish at it?

they are throwing lots of money at it. they're also throwing tons of money at about 100 other ways to get energy from sources outside the middle east. it's just you don't hear about it all that often. (not sure why)

there's a farm here in MN that powers the entire dairy farm, and some of the town, off of cow shit. the guy makes more money selling electricity to the city than he does off milk some years. but you never really hear about it.

they can make 100% compatitble diesel fuel from soybeans, but you don't hear about that often either. it's going on, the govt. is actually doing quite a bit to help the process, but until it starts creeping into your everyday life, it's not happening at all in most people's minds.

right now it's all in the beta testing phase. it'll probably take 10-15 years before the tech coming out today has a shot at real world installations and usage.
  • Reply 16 of 40
    Sorry for going off on a tangent.

It sounds like they have tried putting all sorts of stuff through their miracle machine. (Kind of reminds me of the Malcom in the Middle where they throw a bunch of things in the wood chipper.) I wonder if these will ever end up at the land fill.
  • Reply 17 of 40
    Don't worry about the OT. The only two reasons anyone cares about this are global warming and foreign oil.

Some guy at work today was looking at stuff on the net and said "Hey Scott check this out" it was the image of turkey guts. So people seem to be spreading this around.
  • Reply 18 of 40
    it was posted on www.slashdot.org on april 1st. a lot of folks thought it was a joke at first, but it's real.

that was probably a few million views right there.
  • Reply 19 of 40
    thttht Posts: 5,444member
    I've heard about people trying to do this for awhile, just that they were never this successful nor optimistic. It would be terrific if they are successful (in creating a market). Yes, it sounds too good to be true, that the products that come out of the process would be so clean, but hopefully there won't be many devils in the details.

Upon reading it, it almost seems like they are breaking the laws of thermodynamics. They are getting energy out of nothing, or are producing more energy then they are using, but the process is more akin to an oil refinery rather than a power plant, so it probably shouldn't be thought of that way. It appears that it will cost $15/barrel of oil produced, so we know the process isn't "free".
  • Reply 20 of 40
    yeah, and they can market it as "freedom oil" and charge a premium for it.