Analog conversion to mp3

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a small collection of vinyl (tapes also) that I'm interested in ripping into mp3s. Is there a way to connect the turntable to my ibook??? Are there any funky hardware or software requirements???

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    Do those devices have any audio-out capabilities? If so, you would just need to connect them to the audio-in jack on your Mac and use some audio recording software to record it. You will probably need a cable that has a headphone-plug-like connector on both ends if your devices have a port to connect headphones to; if they only have composite-out, you'll probably need an additional adapter (all of this can be found at a Radio Shack). If you have trouble finding a suitable program that records to the mp3 format, you could always record it in some other format and use a different program to convert it to mp3.

I hope this helps. =)
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Inevitable

You will probably need a cable that has a headphone-plug-like connector on both ends

It's called a male-to-male 1/8th-inch minijack.

And, yes, that would be the best way to do it. Since few programs export to MP3, you would be best to save the files as full-quality AIFFs and then use iTunes to make MP3s out of them.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    Thanks guys... What programs will record as AIFF??? Sorry I'm not familiar with audio input and programs at all...8)
  • Reply 4 of 5
    chychchych Posts: 860member
    Since when did the iBook have audio in? Unless I'm missing something, you will need some sort of analog->digital convertor that interfaces with your iBook, some USB device like this. Unless you're going to record from that one microphone...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Quote:

Originally posted by LiquidR

Thanks guys... What programs will record as AIFF??? Sorry I'm not familiar with audio input and programs at all...8)

i just went through a similar exercise, and the best recording program I found was Amadeus

I would just record the whole album side onto the Mac, then look at the waveform to find the gaps between tracks and insert markers at the beginning and end of each song. You can then have Amadeus create individual MP3s for each track all at once. It will even create the ID3 tags for you.

Great program. Well worth the $25 shareware fee.