Family trapped on Mt. Hood rescued via Emergency SOS via Satellite

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 24

High altitude combined with bad weather caused a group of hikers to become stranded, but they were rescued within 24 hours thanks to SOS via Satellite for iPhone.

Person on mountain holding iPhone 14 or later with Emergency SOS via Satellite feature in use

A family of hikers had hiked from the Salmon River Trailhead of Mt. Hood on Tuesday, ultimately climbing eight miles and gaining 3,500 feet of elevation. Due to changing weather and dropping temperatures, they used the Emergency SOS via Satellite feature to summon help.

According to a report from Clackamas County Sheriff's Office a call for help came in at 7:30pm. Due to worsening conditions, the family was advised to shelter in place as rescuers tried to reach them.

Ground crews using all-terrain vehicles were deployed, but couldn't reach them due to the changing conditions until 6am the following morning. Rescuers found the group "cold, wet, and dyhydrated, but otherwise okay."

There was still the problem of getting the group of four adults and two children back down the mountain. A helicopter rescue was attempted, but couldn't land because of the weather and terrain challenges.

Another ground crew, this time using a Snowcat vehicle from the Sheriff's Department, left at 10am and reached the family and first rescuers several hours later due to the difficult terrain. Ultimately, the family and all personnel were transported back to the search and rescue command post at 7:30pm on Wednesday, 24 hours after their initial SOS call.

Emergency personnel attending to rescued family in parking lot

The SOS via Satellite feature debuted with the iPhone 14 models, and has credited with saving many lives since its deployment. Text communication is limited due to the low bandwidth of satellites, but precise coordinates and other relevant information is automatically passed on to authorities when the feature is activated.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    ZirlinZirlin Posts: 20member
    It's quite easy to get out of Mt. Hood. Simply rotate the Digital Crown on your Apple Vision Pro counterclockwise and "Voila!" you're back safe and sound.
    XedchasmAnilu_777appleinsideruserwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 11
    Zirlin, very funny...idiot
    macgui
  • Reply 3 of 11
    ssfe11ssfe11 Posts: 24member
    Bring 2 children with you? I don’t get it but thank Apple! You guys saved 6 more lives! And the DOJ wants to change that. Clueless DoJ. 
    Anilu_777danoxwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member
    Zirlin said:
    It's quite easy to get out of Mt. Hood. Simply rotate the Digital Crown on your Apple Vision Pro counterclockwise and "Voila!" you're back safe and sound.
    You win the forums today. Well done.
    Anilu_777appleinsideruserZirlinmacguiwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,574member
    Camera35 said:
    Zirlin, very funny...idiot
    It was funny. You think he's an idiot, why?
    Zirlinwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 11
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,308member

ssfe11 said:
    Bring 2 children with you? I don’t get it but thank Apple! You guys saved 6 more lives! And the DOJ wants to change that. Clueless DoJ. 
    It's a family, and they hike. Including the kids. It's great exercise until you don't reckon on higher-altitude weather/condition changes.
    thtwatto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 11
    The hikers gained 3,500 feet during climb (or climbers during hike) rather than reaching 3,500 feet. 
    Calamanderwatto_cobra
  • Reply 8 of 11
    jccjcc Posts: 326member
    chasm said:

ssfe11 said:
    It's a family, and they hike. Including the kids. It's great exercise until you don't reckon on higher-altitude weather/condition changes.
    It’s basically still winter like weather out there and these bozos thought it was a great idea to go hiking high up on the mountains? Darwin Award. The rescuers should make this family pay the cost for their stupidity.
    Calamanderronnjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 11
    XedXed Posts: 2,574member
    “I’ll take white people doing white people things for $800, Alex.”
    It amazes me racism is back in fashion! I thought we left that back in the 50ies. 

Not sure how I feel about that Sat feature. I guess overall it is a benefit to the outdoorsy. 

On the one hand, fewer darwin awards handed out; on the other hand, fewer darwin awards handed out. 

People should not be encouraged to behave stupidly in the outdoors; but the death penalty is too much, I am happy the family is safe and sound. I mean yes they did something stupid but I would still rescue them, because we are humans and have compassion. 
    Is your viewpoint of the satellite SOS feature really that myopic that you can't see how this can benefit anyone who happens to be outside of cellular and WiFi range? There's even be reports of people who were in a car accident that couldn't get a cellular connection but could use the SOS feature.

They've even added the ability to contact AAA via the system, which would be very useful if you break down along a stretch of road without other services, which is common — even along highways — in a large part of the midwest and west between cities. There's simply not enough people in those areas to warrant  cellular access everywhere. There are call boxes occasionally but walking to them could take awhile and could cause their own dangers. Getting a ride from a stranger also has its potential perils.

But you keep on thinking  that only Darwin Award nominees would ever use the feature. 🙄
    muthuk_vanalingamronnjbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 10 of 11
    danoxdanox Posts: 2,875member
    jcc said:
    chasm said:

ssfe11 said:
    It’s basically still winter like weather out there and these bozos thought it was a great idea to go hiking high up on the mountains? Darwin Award. The rescuers should make this family pay the cost for their stupidity.
    The local mountains in Southern California where the actor who played warlock died had a surprise for this time of year light dusting of show yesterday I'm sure some people were also caught out in it. Blaming the family is a low hanging target, the area around Mt. Hood is huge and popular at any given time there must be many people hiking and skiing.

https://dodoex.blogspot.com/2021/07/mt-hood-view-from-portland-mt-hood.html Even known in Korea

The government will of coarse in time want Apple to share every detail of their particular hardware/software implementation with everyone for free, what is bad is that the government at all levels won't do any forward thinking ahead of time. For example the Frand patent system needs some fixing and the unwanted junk mail/text/spam problem just goes on with no end in sight (company lobbyists in the way? Hmm...)
    edited March 24 jbdragonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 11 of 11
    This tech is just outstanding and I keep seeing more and more stories about how Apple saved lives or made a significant health difference in peoples lives.

This is the way. I hope that Apple feels encouraged by all the success stories and triples down on efforts to accelerate evolution of their tech.

Here is wishing the tech evolves to be usable for earthquake victims and people trapped under rubble so rescue teams can find them quicker. 
    danoxwatto_cobra