Can someone check this website for me, please.....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My school has just started re-doing its website

( www.perthhigh.co.uk ) and we have run into a Mac / PC argument. The homepage features pull down menus done in javascript and the pupils in chrge ( who know way more than me about these things ) say it is working perfectly. However, in both Safari and IE it doesn't display properly for me. in safari the whole page jumps down so only the top part can be seen without scrolling and the pull down menus open bizarrely in the grey space above the whole page.

Can somebody check for me and see if they get the same results.? I've recently updated to 10.2.5 and the new beta of Safari so it may be something to do with that. The pupils are adamant that this is the fault of the Mac and a good reason why the site should be built only using PCs. however, the school's server is down just now and i can't get access to the internet to check.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Same results for me in Safari Beta 2 with 10.2.5. Camino renders it fine. As far as IE, menu's are just blue and at the Top Left, me thinks it's a CSS rendering error as some other things seemed positioned oddly, possibly Javascript as well but I don't know (Considering I only know HTML and a small bit of CSS).
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ibrowseibrowse Posts: 1,749member
    Same things here.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    jimdadjimdad Posts: 209member
    Thanks, guys. i've just re-downloaded Camino and it does display page perfectly. I'm not sure what this tells me. IE has always rendered it properly until now whereas Safari has been hit or miss. I've reported it to Apple using the bug report but I don't know how much attention is paid. It must be something to do with either 10.2.5 or Safari beta 2, I guess. Sad state of affairs when we seem to be going backwards. Oh well, back to school tomorrow to eat some humble pie with my pupils (sigh).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    Safari still does some weird stuff withmore complex javascript (mainly I see this on my own site, and it's not like I'm running anything as complex as menus off it): I get the feeling that side of things isn't entirely finished yet, and IE has usually barfed when I've pointed it at javascript menus anyway. Which is why I tend to avoid those sites...
  • Reply 5 of 6
    This is the fault of their JavaScript (which has been taken from YoungPup), not the Mac or Safari or IE.

The fault is their "menucontainers.js" file; they can't use JavaScript to write to the document like that, in conjunction with the other Youngpup JavaScript.

A lot of browsers will forgive this, but the Mac ones are pretty strict that the proper rules are followed.

Their JavaScript is writing the drop-down menus invisibly to the page, then putting the rest of the page below that. Hence you see the top of the page far down.

They need to inline their drop-down menu "writeln" code to the HTML page that refers the YoungPup JavaScript.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    trevormtrevorm Posts: 841member
    Doesnt work on Safari current version!

I have had this issue with a few other websites with Java style menus. For example the Australian Stock Exchange page (Sorta, Kinda)