Spotify listeners may finally get lossless audio -- but at a cost

Posted:
in General Discussion

Spotify is preparing to unveil its long-rumored lossless audio feature, but the company won't be taking Apple Music's approach.

Spotify logo with three curved lines on a green background.
Lossless audio & AirPods optimization coming to Spotify

The concept of Spotify offering lossless audio isn't new. Initially dubbed "Spotify HiFi," the idea was first teased in 2021, hinting at a premium subscription model named "Supremium." However, it seems Spotify has revised its strategy, opting for an add-on model instead.

The new feature, "Music Pro," isn't a replacement for the existing Spotify Premium service but a powerful enhancement, according to a Reddit user discovered by The Verge.

Music Pro is expected to include several features. Beyond the much-anticipated lossless audio, which supports up to 24-bit/44.1kHz FLAC files, Spotify may also be planning to integrate DJ remix capabilities, allowing users to interact with tracks in novel ways.

Additionally, a headphone optimization feature is on the cards, which will use patented technology to tailor audio output for specific headphone models, including Apple's AirPods.

The code also hinted at potential advanced library filtering options, such as sorting by mood or genre, and further advancements in AI-driven playlists. However, whether these features will be included in the Music Pro add-on upon launch is still being determined.

Speculation remains regarding Music Pro's release date and pricing, as Spotify has yet to make an official announcement.

Spotify's move is in stark contrast to Apple Music. In 2021, Apple added Spatial Audio and Lossless quality to its streaming service at no extra cost to users.

The introduction of Music Pro could potentially reshape Spotify's position in the highly competitive music streaming market. By providing high-quality audio and unique customization features, the company has a chance to attract audiophiles who prioritize superior sound quality.

Read on AppleInsider

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    AppleZuluAppleZulu Posts: 2,026member
    Spotify is missing the boat. 

Charging a premium for things like lossless audio and Spatial Audio limits it to a niche market. 

Before Apple began providing those formats at no extra charge, others who followed Spotify’s now proposed practice doomed those features to a negative feedback loop. The premium cost limited the customer base, and the limited customer base limited the incentive to create content in the premium formats. It was a sure fire way to kill off the market for those features. 

Apple changed all that by including the formats for their full, existing subscriber base. Now there’s vast content in those formats. 

Spotify coming in now and charging extra for the same thing (plus some gimmicky stuff) won’t doom the high-quality audio formats any more -because Apple has already primed the pump- but it won’t do Spotify any favors. Why pay them extra when you can get it from Apple (and others who followed Apple’s lead) for less?
    tophatnosocksdewmetmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 2 of 10
    Speed1050Speed1050 Posts: 24unconfirmed, member
    AppleZulu said:
    Why pay them extra when you can get it from Apple (and others who followed Apple’s lead) for less?
    It depends on the third party integrations. Apple doesn’t have many third party integrations, so I can’t stream lossless to either Sonos or, more importantly for me, BlueSound. So, currently on top of my Apple sub I have Qobuz. Amazon HD is pretty good, but they don’t integrate with services like Soundiz for syncing playlists/albums/artists and so on. 

As good as Apple’s lossless is, there’s not really anyway I can listen to it when I can feel any benefit. Spotify generally have nailed the curations and integrations, so I’d move to them and pay the additional charge until/if Apple open up their lossless streaming to others. 
    edited April 16 williamlondon
  • Reply 3 of 10
    thedbathedba Posts: 764member
    This will matter to the less than 1% of Spotify users that claim to “hear” the difference.
    There will be YouTubers that will make it look like the greatest thing to happen to music, well since music itself.
    The more than 99% of users will just shrug it off and continue listening to the way they’ve always been listening.  
    dewmeCalvinatorwatto_cobra
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Speed1050 said:

It depends on the third party integrations. Apple doesn’t have many third party integrations, so I can’t stream lossless to either Sonos or, more importantly for me, BlueSound. So, currently on top of my Apple sub I have Qobuz. Amazon HD is pretty good, but they don’t integrate with services like Soundiz for syncing playlists/albums/artists and so on. 

As good as Apple’s lossless is, there’s not really anyway I can listen to it when I can feel any benefit. Spotify generally have nailed the curations and integrations, so I’d move to them and pay the additional charge until/if Apple open up their lossless streaming to others. 
    Sounds like you are missing the point in your reply? Great, you use BlueSound BT speakers, (unneeded) and or Sonos, (same) most just wire up an AVR, heck, the average users don't use any room speakers now days.  

What you are mentioning is in the 'premium user base' and not the average user. I agree with AppleZulu.

Oh, and I am testing many of the platforms, and just pushed five of my playlists to Amazon with Soundiiz, from Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, and AM.
      ߤ簟Fzwj;♂️<--that's a shrug, no idea why in 2024 this forum can't handle emoji's?
    edited April 16 williamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Surprise! Spotify lobbied the EU in order to raise prices, not lower them. 
    dewmetmaywilliamlondonwatto_cobra
  • Reply 6 of 10
    holtzdholtzd Posts: 2member
    Tidal just changed up their plans and includes the lossless, HiRes and Dolby for $10.99 and then makes the DJ Extension an add-on.  If Spotify creates a separate more expensive tear to get the lossless it will be DOA.  I'm sure this is why Tidal did that, to snuff out Spotify's plans to entice Tidal users to switch.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 7 of 10
    Speed1050Speed1050 Posts: 24unconfirmed, member

Oh, and I am testing many of the platforms, and just pushed five of my playlists to Amazon with Soundiiz, from Spotify, Tidal, Deezer, and AM.

Thanks.  If I get nothing else from the thread it's that Amazon's API has been updated and syncs more than just playlists now, it wasn't like that a little while ago.

I really don't think it's that niche a user case, but I don't work in the industry so can't give any citation to that.  Spotify do though, and they much think there's enough people out there running high res music streamers who they think will pay.  

Apple too must think there's enough people connecting a DAC to their phones or MACs to warranty the cost of delivery of their own high res lossless library.  Given you can't listen to hi res lossless over a bluetooth connection, you have to wonder why Apple bothered making it available if there's no market for it?

williamlondon
  • Reply 8 of 10
    zeus423zeus423 Posts: 246member
    Nothing like an AM radio.  :#
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 9 of 10
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,572member
    Unless they also stop doing whatever audio processing  they're doing to every master they put into their streaming service, there is absolutely ZERO point to going lossless.

If you want to hear the actual sound of the original  uploaded masters, Spotify isn't giving that to you — lossless or not. 
    MplsP
  • Reply 10 of 10
    MplsPMplsP Posts: 3,947member
    I always get a kick out of people screaming for lossless audio. The number of people who can actually tell the difference between a high quality MP3 and true lossless is incredibly small. Then you get these people gushing about the great sound of the lossless audio they're paying extra for while they're listening on their AirPods or in their car.
    muthuk_vanalingam