Safari = play embedded videos

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
is there anyway to get safari to play mpegs/windows media INSIDE of the browser? instead of downloading it?

Thanks

sometimes i hate that it downloads it, instead of playing it within the browser.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    I think Apple has to hardcode this themselves.. unless someone can hack Safari to do it?
  • Reply 2 of 6
    From the poster "Millennium" at MacNN:

Quote:

WiMP playback support is out of Apple's hands; there is nothing they can do about it.

You see, Microsoft pulled a dirty trick with their WiMP "browser plugin" for Mac. It's not actually a plugin at all. It's an ActiveX control, quite possibly the only one in existence for Macs. Naturally, only IE knows how to deal with this, and since ActiveX is M$-proprietary -as is WiMP- they can keep any other browser from being able to play it. The most Apple can do is lobby Microsoft to make a real browser plug-in. But this is unlikely, because even though Microsoft's famous Mac Business Unit makes most Mac software for M$, they do not make the Mac version of WiMP. I don't know who's responsible for the mostrosity that is the Mac version of WiMP, but it's rather obvious that they don't particularly care.

That should answer the latter part of your question.

As for MPEG content, mind posting a link with a page that has an embedded MPEG?
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Embeds work fine for me, But I wish safari would play MPEGs that where not embeded like IE did.. I happened to like that feature.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    for example ...

www.badtz.net/lsd_british.mpg

if you try the link, safari will download it, instead of putting it on a blank screen & playing it from there [like IE does]
  • Reply 5 of 6
    overhopeoverhope Posts: 1,123member
    But, if you write a page with the MPEG between some EMBED tags and point your links to that page, it'll work fine.

It's just different, rather than wrong, and does have the advantage that every movie you view directly is in your Download folder rather than squirelled away somewhere in ~/Library / Caches.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    badtzbadtz Posts: 949member
    gotcha 8)