Any way to speed up dock show/hide?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I have recently learned the wonderful thing that is hiding the dock... I've always known about it and I thought I didn't like it, but now I'm learning to love it. Combined with ClearDock it makes it look real slick.

But I have a problem... why does it take so flippin' long for the dock to pop up when you hit the bottom edge? I'd rather it be instant - cursor hits the bottom edge, dock appears immediately. Cursor moves away, dock disappears immediately. Yeah, it wouldn't have any of the neato burrito effects we're used to in OS X, but I really wish it could do that... and although I'm open to little utilities to replace the dock, I really can't afford to buy any shareware right now and I don't like the little messages so I'd prefer to just do what's possible with free stuff. I mean, does this annoy anyone else? Have tips on what to do?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    The Dock is designed to not pop up too easily, and has been worked on quite a bit in this respect in Jaguar. If you bring your cursor straight down to the bottom edge of the screen (assume that's where the Dock is), it should pop up almost instantly. But if you come to it on the diagonal or simply brush along the bottom edge of the screen, it will wait an extra second to see if your cursor stays down there. The idea is that users often accidentally bring up the Dock (or Windows taskbar which is a real PITA) by "grazing" the edge of the screen accidentally. The extra second wait makes sure that this is really what you're after. To avoid this, bring the cursor straight down and the Dock should pop up nearly instantly. I don't know how tolerant the Dock is with regard to what constitutes "straight down."
  • Reply 2 of 7
    dhagan4755dhagan4755 Posts: 2,152member
    Option + Apple + D
  • Reply 3 of 7
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    Thanks, that helps... now if I want to use the dock, I can get it on the screen so by the time my pointer is there it's already up.

OS X is so full of neet features like this!
  • Reply 4 of 7
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Quote:

Originally posted by DHagan4755

Option + Apple + D

Much better answer. Thanks, I didn't even think of it in terms like that. FWIW, the Dock pops up only when the pointer stops moving, so my little observation of straight drop vs. "scrubbing" is merely a side effect.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Luca Rescigno

neet features like this!

That's spelled 'neat'
  • Reply 6 of 7
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Wow thanks Dhagan.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Leonis