The Chat function-- will it ever function?

Posted:
in Feedback edited January 2014
I noticed that the chat link, next to the Forums link on the Appleinsider navbar, is not a functional feature. I think that it would be nice to have a chat feature on AI. What is the status of this link, Admins? Is it being worked on, or it it a nice decoration?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Well that's strange, it works for the rest of us. Heck, most of us never even come to AI anymore because we're all having HUGE chat room parties. HUGE. Balloons and everything.

Maybe you pissed somebody off?
  • Reply 2 of 20
    placeboplacebo Posts: 5,767member
    I doubt it. [sarcastic] when I click on "chat", IE says:

The page cannot be found

The page you are looking for might have been removed, had its name changed, or is temporarily unavailable.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

If you typed the page address in the Address bar, make sure that it is spelled correctly.

Open the forums.appleinsider.com home page, and then look for links to the information you want.

Click the Back button to try another link.

Click Search to look for information on the Internet.

HTTP 404 - File not found

Internet Explorer
  • Reply 3 of 20
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Doesn't work in IE. I'm using Camino right now... you should see the pictures Brad is posting. Try again.
  • Reply 4 of 20
    Must be just you.
  • Reply 5 of 20
    People still use Internet Explorer?

I can't imagine why.
  • Reply 6 of 20
    nebagakidnebagakid Posts: 2,692member
    Quote:

Originally posted by murbot

Doesn't work in IE. I'm using Camino right now... you should see the pictures Brad is posting. Try again.

the pictures? I was looking more at free music that everyone gets for going to the chat

yeah, it doesn't work in IE, also, sometime the page doesn't work becuase it is rebuilding itself to update the users on the Chat, so you need to be patient and keep on clicking
  • Reply 7 of 20
    I tried using Safari on my home computer, and the same "401 error" or whatever pops up. The only reason I ever use IE is because my Safari-capable home computer has a sluggish connection.
  • Reply 8 of 20
    zedzed Posts: 7member
    Funny. I dosnt work for me either, and I use Safari. If this is a game to try to stop Placebo from joining the chats, thats OK , but I woud like to chat. PM me if there is someway of chatting.
  • Reply 9 of 20
    Newbies are always stupid. Yes, Zed, that is you.
  • Reply 10 of 20
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    Newbies never know how to behave either, Placebo.
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Placebo, you are fake...get it? Placebo, fake?

ne'ermind!

• Reply 12 of 20
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

Newbies are always stupid. Yes, Zed, that is you.

I am most impressed with you. This must be the most stupid thing I have EVER read on these boards. And that is, to say the least, rather an achievement, seeing we have groverat moderating round these parts. Why are you such an awful person, Placebo?
  • Reply 13 of 20
    Since I am Zed, I think that I can insult myself as much as I want.
  • Reply 14 of 20
    zedzed Posts: 7member
    Yes, dis is Placebo.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    fran441fran441 Posts: 3,715member
    Violating the multiple accounts rule, this isn't going to look good on your record.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    somebody's

• Reply 17 of 20
    It was the only way for me to find out whether I was being duped by you guys or not. Sorry.
  • Reply 18 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Jonathan

somebody's

this is wrong
  • Reply 19 of 20
    Do I even want to know what that is???
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Placebo

It was the only way for me to find out whether I was being duped by you guys or not. Sorry.

Well, you got my heart strings pullin' there Placebo. I probably watched too much Lassie as a kid.

Listen. If you want to play a part in a message board such as this, have a thick skin and a positive attitude as a newbie, and just lose the positive attitute when you finally reach 'Member' status. . Kidding. Almost. OS10Geek could have lived a long and prosperous life at AI had it not been for the consistant 'I'm a newbie and I just want to say HI to everyone everywhere all the time and I'll put loads of smilies here so you notice me and I'll say something that doesn't really pertain to anything but hey look another smiley so you know I'm here" type posting that drove me (and others, obviously) up the f*cking wall and is pretty obvious to anyone that's spent any time here (or not).

So, after you get back from exile again and start posting as 'Denial' or whatever, think about this:

? Show some restraint next time. AI is (IMO) the best place on the www to find a mix of intelligence and irreverence so closely tied to one another its frightening. That is, it's fun. If you want your voice to be heard, fine, that's what this is all about. If you want to talk to hear the sound of your voice, go away. Only moderators can do that (sorry, couldn't resist ).

? You don't have to post just because you are here. Hell, I've been around here for years, never posted before the BBO and just re-joined a year ago. In your short time as OS10/Placebo you've managed to surpass my post count. That would have been great if you actually had something to say, but you didn't.

? Finally, have a bit of respect for these boards. It's one of the last bastions of intelligent conversation (even if I don't participate) on the web these days. Don't f*ck with it.

Seriously. AI is a place for everyone. You've made a few intelligent posts that I've seen, so obviously you're no dummy, so why not just cool it and be a part of the community? Post counts aren't everything, and being banned just sucks (obviously if you have to create 2 new names just to still be here).

See you in a few months ....G.