Toast Titanium 5.2.1 Error

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
I have gotten the same error twice; Once when I was burning a backup for O Brother Where Art Thou? (dual layered) and once with Boondock Saints (Single 4.4 Gb).

The error is as follows:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code = 0x30, 0x05

CANNOT WRITE MEDIUM - INCOMPATIBLE FORMAT

I am using Maxell DVD-R 4.7 GB and have successfully burned a backup of Waking Life on the same DVD-R's, however I was using 42 and did not have toast then.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cheers,

Dan

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    Alright, I tried doing it again using the Apple DVD-R that came with my Powerbook when I purchased it.

The result this time is:

The drive reported an error:

Sense Key = ILLEGAL REQUEST

Sense Code = 0x21, 0x02

BUFFER UNDERRUN

Each time it has gotten about 1/3 or 15 minutes done before the error occurs.

dan
  • Reply 2 of 10
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I get the same EXACT thing at the end of burning a DVD but it appears to play fine. WTF.
  • Reply 3 of 10
    And I already HAVE a thread for this.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    Sorry to steal your thread.

I tried to play one and it appeared to be fine, but it didnt burn enough to play any of the movie, it was just the beginning part.

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 5 of 10
    Anyone have any input or similar problems??

What kind of media (DVD-R(W) Brand) have people successfully burned using toast?

I'd really like to get this solved.

Cheers,

Dan
  • Reply 6 of 10
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    i bought Verbatim DVD-R's.

i'll test out Boondock Saints later today.
  • Reply 7 of 10
    It's NOT the media. Especially if it's Verbatim they are the highest quality possible. 5.2 also gave me this error in addition to 5.2.1. This leads me to one conclusion: Apple broke Toast DVD burning somehow in 10.2.5. What OS X do you guys have?

Now I'm going to try using the Finder to burn. I burned The Wrath of Khan and it plays fine yet I got a warning about hardware error "0x03 and 0x07" and upon Verification it said Sector 0 can not be read. WTF?
  • Reply 8 of 10
    The Finder is bastard it will only give me 4.28 gigs of space on a blank "4.7" gig DVD. Does it really take half a GIG for invisible files and the file sytem? Sounds like an "update" is needed for that, but anyhow I still have to use Toast to burn and all versions are giving me hardware errors and it didn't for the first few DVDs. Is there a defective strain of SuperDrives? I wouldn't mind shipping my laptop back to Texas at all it only took 2 days the last time my iBook Combo drive crapped out. Anyone else seeing this?
  • Reply 9 of 10
    Oh shit something really bad happened which I hope didn't damage my SuperDrive. I started it burning Training Day last night. I wake up this morning and hear a weird clicking...It's spinning around and Toast is still "writing lead-out". It plays fine. But what the hell is happening to my SuperDrive? Is it defective?

BuzzardsBay are you from the one where an oil tanker just crashed?
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I have 10.2.5 also and yes I live in Dartmouth which is right in the middle of Buzzards Bay.

Also my summer job is on a Boat that goes to Cuttyhunk (one of the elizabethan islands) so I don't how that's going to be affected as there is still 14,000 uncollected gallons and the boat course goes right through the majority of it.

The No. 6 oil is still spreading around too because of 25+ knot winds in the Bay right now.

It's such an awful thing to happen, that bay is my favorite place in the world. I spend enormous amounts of time on the water, whether it's fishing, kayaking, boating, swimming or beach partying. I'm so sad something like this had to happen.

Dan.