Safari : Caution!! (maybe)

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014
Hey guys, lookit:

Last Saturday night my iBook went down HARD in the middle of an important project and on Easter eve. Obtained a pre-purchase copy of Drive 10 to try and save the drive but to no avail so I put it into the shop. They came back and told me that almost 300 directories had been overwritten, and they ran file recovery for me (and installed a new 40Gb drive at my direction).

Yesterday I went to Apple's discussion boards and did a search for "directory" and "crash". One of the topics that it returned described an eerily similar situation which occured recently and according to this user the potential culprit was Safari 2.0

So, this is just a head's up to you guys to look for more reports about this....

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    Yea safari 2 is pretty bugtacular. It doesn't load the page half the time and you need to restart it.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    That should have read "overlapped" in my first post....big difference.

I don't want to try and pin the blame to Safari without more info, but let me suggest that you back up your bookmarks right now while you have the chance...sucks to lose 'em!
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by drewprops

Hey guys, lookit:

Last Saturday night my iBook went down HARD in the middle of an important project and on Easter eve. Obtained a pre-purchase copy of Drive 10 to try and save the drive but to no avail so I put it into the shop. They came back and told me that almost 300 directories had been overwritten, and they ran file recovery for me (and installed a new 40Gb drive at my direction).

Yesterday I went to Apple's discussion boards and did a search for "directory" and "crash". One of the topics that it returned described an eerily similar situation which occured recently and according to this user the potential culprit was Safari 2.0

So, this is just a head's up to you guys to look for more reports about this....

back when it first came out, it messed some things up on my drives.. something about messing up a symbolic link, don't remember too well, but I think I ended up booting into single user mode and making a new link

such an odd bug too.. it was preventing disks from mounting properely.. but why?? why would safari be messing with that link?? lol, whatever, the fixed it really quickly
  • Reply 4 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

Yea safari 2 is pretty bugtacular. It doesn't load the page half the time and you need to restart it.

I have absolutely no such problems with Safari.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    jlljll Posts: 2,713member
    Quote:

Can you remember if your hard drive was almost full?

Mac OS X and a full hard drive don't mix.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    It was a 20Gb drive and was about 75% full. I'm not asserting that there's a direct link to Safari (at this point) but I picked up that thread and am pulling it to see where it leads...think I'll at least drop that line to MacFixit and let them take note of it in case it goes somewhere. Drat, hate that they charge for their site now....hmmmm
  • Reply 7 of 11
    macvaultmacvault Posts: 323member
    Speaking of Mac OS X and a full hard drive... I have a new 12" Powerbook with a 60GB drive. It's been pretty rock solid until yesterday when I plugged it into my TV to watch a DVD. My desktop appeared on the TV and everything seemed to be ok, until I inserted a DVD and it didn't show up on the desktop, and it wouldn't eject (anyone know where the manual eject 'whole' is on the 12" PB?). So I restarted the machine and ejected it just fine during the bootup. So, realizing the first DVD I tried was double-sided I tried a second (single-sided) DVD in case that was a problem. The second DVD didn't show up either! Anyway, I restarted and insterted the second DVD again and it did finally show up and I was able to play it. So, after the movie I unplugged the TV etc. from the Powerbook and now noticed my desktop looked all messed up, the icons were the default (big) size, the dock was full-size, the clock in the menubar was changed to the 24hour mode, hmm , what else.. anyway, long story short is that some of my preferences had been reset or changed, or something, and some of them were unchanged, such as my networking prefs.

I am running 10.2.5 and Safari Beta 2, but everything's seemed to have been rock solid since I installed those two things a week or two ago, so I don't think that's what it is. I'm thinking it had something to do either with the screen resolution changing when I plugged the machine into the TV (has never been a problem before) or it was that just a few days ago my 60GB drive got almost full, I think there was about 245MB available, and the only reason I thought to check is that when I started up iTunes it said there was an error or something when It tried to save the iTunes Library or something strange like that, whatever that means.

Anyway, anyone know what happened here? Is it a bug in the system? Safari? Or, most likely, just that the hard drive ran out of room, and according to a previous post OS X doesn't like that.?.?.????????? It's quited annoying to have my preferences just reset like that :-( Is this something I could have avoided had I enabled journaling in the file system???
  • Reply 8 of 11
    baumanbauman Posts: 1,248member
    What I've noticed is that when you have a full hard drive, Mac OS X will not notice, and try to write a new prefs file anyway. It runs out of space, and leaves the pref file foobared, just half-written, and therefore, corrupted.

This happened to my roomie, with his Login preference file. He couldn't even start up his computer... it crashed as it was trying to display the login screen, so he had to boot into single user command prompt, and rename the preference files so new default ones were created.

I imagine that the TV stuff is all just a coincidence, but I don't have any conclusive evidence either way. This is just from my experiences. :shrug:
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Aquatic

I've been using beta 2 since it's release and it's been great. I've not had any of the problems you mention...and it's crap loads faster than IE. I just can't wait for the final release!
  • Reply 10 of 11
    Yeah guys, this was less a poll about how Safari's working for you (and I'm not being snarky here) and more of a warning to keep your eyes peeled for any subsequent warnings about the 2.0 version of the app causing severe disk problems. I personally liked the features of the second release but disliked how often it quit unexpectedly. That freaks me out.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    gycgyc Posts: 90member
    Quote:

Yeah guys, this was less a poll about how Safari's working for you (and I'm not being snarky here) and more of a warning to keep your eyes peeled for any subsequent warnings about the 2.0 version of the app causing severe disk problems. I personally liked the features of the second release but disliked how often it quit unexpectedly. That freaks me out.

Ummm..... Safari hasn't even hit 1.0 yet! It's *BETA 2* right now. Of course you might expect to have problems with any beta product.