802.11b / Bluetooth NEVER on the system board!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
I'm not sure why people keep thinking/wanting Apple would/should put 802.11b OR Bluetooth on the system board.

Some are even saying Apple does it so they can 'sell more stuff' but I say BS! If Apple wanted to 'sell more stuff' then they WOULD build 802.11b and Bluetooth on to the system board.

Think about is for a second...

The way things are now you can insert and 'Apple Airport Card' (802.11b) or you could go with a 3rd party 802.11b card. In the not to distant future we should also have the choice of 'turbo 802.11b' as well as 802.11g (since they all use the same 2.4Ghz band the antenna should still work fine.

Oh and one more option you have...

802Blue..

Two companies have developed a way to put 802.11 (b I think) as well as Bluetooth on the same PCMCIA card (same exact interface as the 'Apple Airport Card' we have now).

In the end having 802.11 as well as Bluetooth OFF the system board is a REALLY REALLY REALLY GOOD THING!

We still have options!

Now if Apple wanted to 'sell more stuff' they woulda put 802.11b on the system board and then 'next year' come out with a system board with 802.11 and Bluetooth and then 6 months later a new system board with turbo-802.11b (or maybe 802.11g) and BT etc etc etc.

I for one like things just the way they are...

Dave

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Dave I agree. Integration has it's limits
  • Reply 2 of 4
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    If apple would itegrate bluetooth on the airportcard, i'd be more than happy...
  • Reply 3 of 4
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Airport cards should be cheaper to make by now. I can pick up competeing 802.11 nodes for 100 canadian. 60% cheaper than Apple.

Yet the card itself is the way to go. WiFi is still an alphabet soup and you may need to change from one format to another during the useful life of your computer.

I've been saying it for months -- put 802.11 on the airport card!
  • Reply 4 of 4
    engpjpengpjp Posts: 124member
    The arguments against the integration of AirPort and Bluetooth don't hold: using evolving versions of the two technologies on the motherboard revisions will increase neither number of sales nor revenue. Similarly, the idea that being able to choose non-Apple wireless cards is a good thing is not all that simple: only AirPort cards can use the built-in antenna - other cards must incorporate one in their form factor. Inevitably that means shorter range and slower transfer speeds (unless someone decides to wrap the computer in some shielding material...).

AirPort will probably not be built-in in the foreseeable future: the extra revenue from this upgrade, AND the psychological advantage of being able to list one more extension possibility on the laptop's specification sheet (which as a species are usually considered to be hermetic) - these are persuasive arguments.

Bluetooth is a different matter: Apple is finally getting ready to let go of the snake pit between mouse, keyboard and CPU. Bluetooth is instrumental in Apple catching up in yet another area (how many of your PC friends have stared at you when you have told them that Apple computers don't come with wireless keyboard and mouse?), and when the next generation of these two standard input devices are released, they will be Bluetooth-enabled.

Bluetooth will be added to the motherboard shortly - eight months max - and will add a large range of options: wireless headphones, mics, loudspeakers, pens, etc. These are third part opportunities, not devices to be produced by Apple - as are Bluetooth-enabled mobile phones.

There will be a power cable going to the iMac and nothing else; there will be a power cable going to the PowerMac and a DVI cable going to the screen. Zen minimalism has reached the level craved by Jobs.

engpjp