The SAT's

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
well this coming saturday I will be takin the SAT's, and i have an SAT training program on my computer from "The Princeton Review" that seems to be helpful with some tips

so what i am wondering is, what did you get on ur PSAT's, and SAT's

and do you have any tips that i probably dont know that u think would be useful?

i got an 1100 on my PSAT's

Comments

• Reply 2 of 21
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    I forget the PSAT score, SAT was 1460.

No particular tips on the Verbal, since the Princeton review usually has enough tips for analogies and sentence completions.

As far as math, for QC make sure you test the stupid cases, especially zeros, -1 and fractions. QC is probably the easiest part on the Math if you get used to the format. And remember to spend the majority of your time on the first 2/3-3/4 of each section, as they're the easy-medium level problems.

Good luck on the SAT
  • Reply 3 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by MCQ

I forget the PSAT score, SAT was 1460.

I'm going to use my amazing powers of perception to say that you got a 770 Math and 690 Verbal.

• Reply 4 of 21
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    I got an 800 in the verbal and a 7xx (i can't remember) in Math. Came out to 99th and 98th percentile, respectively.

Not that it was any use to me whatsoever.

-robo
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    I haven't taken the SAT1 yet.

I'll be taking the two SAT2 subject tests May 3rd.

I got a 33 on my ACT.
  • Reply 6 of 21
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    haha wow i must be stupid, compared to the other on these boards, they are getting 1400-1500's, i thought those were amazing scores that weren't gotten often...guess not
  • Reply 7 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Some tips off the top of my head:

With five choice questions, if you can eliminate two answers, guess, otherwise don't answer...unless the scoring has changed since I took them...

Don't dwell on any questions.

For reading comprehension questions, read the questions before you read the passage.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    roborobo Posts: 469member
    I think what i did with the reading comprehension questions was to read the paragragraph very quickly (skimming it), then read the questions. Then you have a decent idea where to look to answer the questions. Try to form the answer in your head, then look at the choices.

But basically, the verbal part is a vocabulary test. I have a big vocabulary, so it was easy. If you are an ESL student, god help you, unless you want to memorize lists of words that have appeared in past SATs.

The math part, i dunno. No special techniques. I just scratched my head and did OK. For some questions, if you can't get your head around the concept, reduce the question to something with small numbers, solve it, and extrapolate out to the large numbers. That's usually the technique when they try to confuse you with massive exponents or whatever. It's been a few years, and my memory of the questions is a bit fuzzy, but that technique seemed to work.

Oh, and cheat I sorta cheated - not really, but i finished the verbal sections very fast, so i went back and finished a couple math questions i hadn't gotten to

Technically against the rules, but whatever.

-robo
  • Reply 9 of 21
    does anyone know how many questions you can skip on each section before points are deducted?
  • Reply 10 of 21
    amoryaamorya Posts: 1,103member
    I got level six Maths at age 11...

Oh, right, you mean the American SATs

Amorya
  • Reply 11 of 21
    jante99jante99 Posts: 539member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

does anyone know how many questions you can skip on each section before points are deducted?

To get a good score you must answer all the questions. Otherwise you won't get enough points. If you miss a question you only loose .25 points so it is better to guess since normally you can eliminate one of the questions.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    The only advice I can give you is to know your vocab. It's one thing that you can study for rather easily, and if you can steam through the vocab-related verbal sections, that just gives you more time to spend on the reading comp, where the extra time can really help.
  • Reply 13 of 21
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

Some tips off the top of my head:

With five choice questions, if you can eliminate two answers, guess, otherwise don't answer...unless the scoring has changed since I took them...

Don't dwell on any questions.

For reading comprehension questions, read the questions before you read the passage.

I consider these sorts of test strategies cheating.
  • Reply 14 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    BTW, do you guys know that the only overall correlating factor in SAT's scores is.....wait for it....

INCOME.

It's a bullshit test.
  • Reply 15 of 21
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

I consider these sorts of test strategies cheating.

And I consider you to be completely irrational. We've been over this. It's using your brain. It's not breaking the printed rules. By not using logic, you are 1) not using your intelligence to the fullest, and 2) handicapping yourself since it is expected of others to use these strategies.

Probablity is not cheating. Only reading the important sections of a passage is not cheating. Skipping question you can't answer is not cheating.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    splinemodelsplinemodel Posts: 7,311member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

BTW, do you guys know that the only overall correlating factor in SAT's scores is.....wait for it....

INCOME.

It's a bullshit test.

That's why most people take culture/income into account. Talk to your friendly dean of college admissions. There's a growing de-emphasis on race. It's being replaced with a more appropriate emphasis on culture/income.
  • Reply 17 of 21
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    Quote:

INCOME.

SWEET! does this mean that if i do well on this test i'll make more money?

SCORE!
  • Reply 18 of 21
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    ^

Nicely done.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

INCOME.

It's a bullshit test.

SAT is highly correlated with income, but it's not fair to say that is the ONLY thing the SAT correlates with. SAT also correlates with what it's supposed to correlate with... first year college GPA. Correlations are usually around .35, which is better than any other predictor of first year college grades. HS GPA, notably, is not as good of a predictor as the SAT.

SAT scores also correlate very highly among identical twins.
  • Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BRussell

SAT is highly correlated with income, but it's not fair to say that is the ONLY thing the SAT correlates with. SAT also correlates with what it's supposed to correlate with... first year college GPA. Correlations are usually around .35, which is better than any other predictor of first year college grades. HS GPA, notably, is not as good of a predictor as the SAT.

SAT scores also correlate very highly among identical twins.

haha good to hear because my GPA doesnt' show how smart i am