adsl and Mac os X

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hi Guys,

I have a general question about adsl and mac os x

I've ordered adsl and the ethernet based modem should be arriving soon.

The website of the service says they have the installation cd for mac os 8-9 and it doesn't talk about X.

I was wondering if configuration really needs to have a software installed and whether I can configure it without the cd with mac os X.

Also, I have been given a username and password which I assume I will need to somehow input somewhere in order to connect. Is this something to do with PPPoE?

Many thanks.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    There's no install CD because, as you have guessed, there's nothing to install.

Just go to the Network pane of the System Preferences, click the PPPoE tab and check the box for "Connect using PPPoE", enter your login and password, check the save password box, ad click apply. If you click the PPPoE options button, you may want to turn off the "disconnect if idle" box.

Moving to the Mac OS X forum.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    As you may have noticed, Mac OS X can sometimes truely rock. Enjoy your ADSL, btw!
  • Reply 3 of 5
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    if you are european and are getting adsl in italy you may experience some of the same problems we have had here in the UK.

Here ADSL was initailly introduced for the consumer by using a USB 'modem' or interface. this was the much hated alcatel 'slug/stingray' speedtouch device. Mac drivers were slow in being released, and it was a nitemare to use reliably. I have since moved to cable and the joys of an ethernet connection, but the USB device was very annoying. i have since installed several other USB adsl devices now on offer here (an Intel modem which had NO X drivers) and know that many people run into problems.

The following might be a useful euro-centric resource adsl guide but the best thing i can recommend if you are stuck with an unsupported or crappy USB device is to buy a new router/modem combo. then it'll act as a dhcp server and you just need to plug it in to your mac. very painless.

course i hope you won't have any of these problems, but i know how difficult it can be to get this info from your ISP. being a mac user is often uncommon, but when you mention OS X to most ISPs they just shake their head blankly.

good luck ... and tell us how you did. i have a mate in sardegna who was looking into tiscalinet adsl a while ago for his powerbook: your experiences would be useful

Buona fortuna!

Edit: forgot to explain myself. these adsl devices use PPPoA (the A standing for ADSL, not Ethernet). Hence probs even with the wonderful OS X
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Whatever he does, do NOT NOT NOT NOT get Tiscali!!!!!!!

They offer the worst service and it often does not work!!!! Even for Windows!

They have no mac support (probably don't need any but still) and they mostly give usb modems.

Tell him to get Tin or Infostrada. I've heard good things about them but I don't know yet. I got Alice(Tin) at a pretty good price of 40 euro per month (256)

By the way, I've got an RJ 45 one so I hope I won't have problems.

Its coming tomorrow so I'll let you guys know.

Thank you all for your help.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    jobesjobes Posts: 106member
    Quote:

Originally posted by stevegongrui

Whatever he does, do NOT NOT NOT NOT get Tiscali!!!!!!!

They offer the worst service and it often does not work!!!! Even for Windows!

They have no mac support (probably don't need any but still) and they mostly give usb modems.

Tell him to get Tin or Infostrada. I've heard good things about them but I don't know yet. I got Alice(Tin) at a pretty good price of 40 euro per month (256)

By the way, I've got an RJ 45 one so I hope I won't have problems.

Its coming tomorrow so I'll let you guys know.

Thank you all for your help.

ah, sto bene! I'll make sure i tell my friend. as you are getting a connection with an RJ45 connection i hope you life will be made a bit easier. i'll keep my fingers crossed for you!