Give me a BREAK Fox News..

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have seen it all now. Fox news network has a program entitled "On The Record" with Greta Van Susteren. With regard to the Scott Peterson case Greta interviews Noreen Renier a psychic. This "psychic" Noreen Reiner gave a bunch of bull over the case based on clothing items such as a shoe and a t-shirt. I have to ask why in the world does this network even give air time to this kind of circus act? I mean come on...

Do any of you believe this psychic nonsense?

I sure don't.

It just amazes me what is given credit on television these days.

Fellowship

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Wow, they still do that?? This is why TV news (all stations) should just be banned. Print and radio only.
  • Reply 2 of 21
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

Wow, they still do that?? This is why TV news (all stations) should just be banned. Print and radio only.

I doubt that that would be an effective way to prevent the brainless pseudo-propaganda/circus acts that occasionally masquerade as television news on all networks these days. I could just as well write mindless blather in an op-ed piece and have it published in the NY Times. You think radio will solve it? On the one hand we have the liberal NPR and on the other public AM conservative talk radio. I sure hope your comment was in jest.
  • Reply 3 of 21
    naderfannaderfan Posts: 156member
    Indeed it was. What we really need is someone like me in charge of all news that will be distributed. I promise to be fair and unbiased, at least in my opinion. Everyone loves Big Brother.
  • Reply 4 of 21
    randycat99randycat99 Posts: 1,919member
    Isn't it entirely possible they just had a big ole block of time to kill, so they opted for some levity on the matter? I thought it was a strange interview, as well, FWIW.

It's also a bit ironic to find FCiB protesting so strongly against something as mystical, unexplained, and faith-based as a psychic!
  • Reply 5 of 21
    jobjob Posts: 420member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Naderfan

Indeed it was. What we really need is someone like me in charge of all news that will be distributed. I promise to be fair and unbiased, at least in my opinion. Everyone loves Big Brother.

Whahahahahaha..

Shades of 1984...
  • Reply 6 of 21
    fellowshipfellowship Posts: 5,038member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Randycat99

Isn't it entirely possible they just had a big ole block of time to kill, so they opted for some levity on the matter? I thought it was a strange interview, as well, FWIW.

It's also a bit ironic to find FCiB protesting so strongly against something as mystical, unexplained, and faith-based as a psychic!

hahahaha just could not resist editing your reply?

One has to discern the truth from deception.

Fellows
  • Reply 7 of 21
    The problem here is the sensationalizing of the news.

Although Fox News exacerbates the problem more than any other cable news network, rampant sensationalism is not exlusive to Fox News. CNN is just as likely to discuss Sylvia Browne instead of real news. MSNBC might invite a crack-pot psychic on one of their shows as well. But Fox News takes sensationalism to the extreme. Combine cheap, tabloid journalism with legitimate news and you have yourself a ratings king!

It's not without precedent within the corporation that runs Fox News. Rupert Murdoch's NewsCorp runs several salacious tabloid newspapers such as the New York Post. In television, Fox Broadcasting Network practically invented the sensational, cheap genre of "When blah blah blah 3" and helped along the "Reality TV" genre. Bill O'Reilly himself was a tabloid journalist for "Inside Edition" or "A Current Affair."

So we have history, precedent, and evidence to indict Fox News as the most sensational news channel on television. But the problem is not just Fox News. It's every news channel. Where has hard news gone? Are we just a society that accepts sound bites and headlines as opposed to real journalism? These are some of the questions that will shape television news in the coming years.

I am very doubtful that it will get any better.

I've already turned to the internet for all my news.

It's probably the best bet anyway.
  • Reply 8 of 21
    What was funny Shawn is that Greta did her best to keep a straight face while asking the questions.

Fox news is not bad 99% of the time but when something like this comes up it really begs one to ask some questions.

Fellowship
  • Reply 9 of 21
    fox sucks but i believe in psychic powers
  • Reply 10 of 21
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Right with you Fellowship

How come these stoopidTV executive jocks never get so called psychics to come on TV and read out the Lottery results B4 they are actually drawn.....?

People prefer to believe in any sort of bull except to truth..& you & I know who the truth is......

\
  • Reply 11 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by FellowshipChurch iBook

What was funny Shawn is that Greta did her best to keep a straight face while asking the questions.

I think that's the entire problem encapsulated right there. We're examining fluff pieces with hard news intensity, and examining hard news with fluff piece attention spans.

This is an industry wide problem.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by ShawnPatrickJoyce

I think that's the entire problem encapsulated right there. We're examining fluff pieces with hard news intensity, and examining hard news with fluff piece attention spans.

This is an industry wide problem.

Indeed I agree with this 100%

Fellows
  • Reply 13 of 21
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    coming up tomorrow on the psychic news network... the following planes will crash... elvis will reappear, and reality tv needs more geraldo

where that off switch?
  • Reply 14 of 21
    brbr Posts: 8,395member
    Quote:

I have seen it all now. Fox news network has a program entitled "On The Record" with Greta Van Susteren. With regard to the Scott Peterson case Greta interviews Noreen Renier a psychic. This "psychic" Noreen Reiner gave a bunch of bull over the case based on clothing items such as a shoe and a t-shirt. I have to ask why in the world does this network even give air time to this kind of circus act? I mean come on...

Do any of you believe this psychic nonsense?

I sure don't.

It just amazes me what is given credit on television these days.

Fellowship

They give air time to religious leaders. Why not psychics?
  • Reply 15 of 21
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    Dumb use of airtime, but then again, have you watched Larry King?
  • Reply 16 of 21
    Quote:

Originally posted by BR

They give air time to religious leaders. Why not psychics?

What have psychics done in the broad scheme of things? Do they focus on helping the poor, the sick, the unfortunate? Do they focus on charity?

Really, BR, as much as you like to prove you're smarter than everyone else because your "ideological nonexistent" stance, and your Neo-Macho attitude: you're just plain wrong here.

You can claim that psychics are no more truthful than religious leaders, but you ignore that psychics mostly charge for their services and call it a day. They have little value to society. At least religious leaders are involved in charity as an inextricable part of their job and a part of their life.

So, no, i'm not "deciding who's right or who's wrong" here. That's not it at all. But when you look at it in the broader scheme of things, religious leaders are more valuable to society than psychics.

If you try to dissemble by asking what constitutes a religous leader, I will sic Fellowship on you!

"Attack!"
  • Reply 17 of 21
    Quote:

What have psychics done in the broad scheme of things? Do they focus on helping the poor, the sick, the unfortunate? Do they focus on charity?

Really, BR, as much as you like to prove you're smarter than everyone else because your "ideological nonexistent" stance, and your Neo-Macho attitude: you're just plain wrong here.

You can claim that psychics are no more truthful than religious leaders, but you ignore that psychics mostly charge for their services and call it a day. They have little value to society. At least religious leaders are involved in charity as an inextricable part of their job and a part of their life.

So, no, i'm not "deciding who's right or who's wrong" here. That's not it at all. But when you look at it in the broader scheme of things, religious leaders are more valuable to society than psychics.

If you try to dissemble by asking what constitutes a religous leader, I will sic Fellowship on you!

"Attack!"

This posting is the post of the year in my book. I have never laughed so much. Way to go Shawn!

Quote:

"ideological nonexistent" stance

That nailed it. Funny how truth can be so funny if it is simply presented as Shawn stated it.

We of course don't intend on running off BR as he has such an interesting and rare viewpoint that is so interesting to deconstruct.

Fellows
  • Reply 18 of 21
    Quote:

What have psychics done in the broad scheme of things?

Provided solace and comfort and bilked money from hundreds of thousands of people.

What have religions done?

Provided solace and comfort and bilked money from millions of people.

Same thing, larger scale.

Quote:

Do they focus on helping the poor, the sick, the unfortunate? Do they focus on charity?

Sure, because all religious leaders do that too. All religions are wholesome and all leaders are trustworthy. HAH!

Quote:

Really, BR, as much as you like to prove you're smarter than everyone else

My heart is not a cold cauldron of proof

I don?t ever need to prove myself to you

Quote:

because your "ideological nonexistent" stance,

Just because my ideology differs from yours does not mean it is "nonexistent." I believe in not being afraid of the unknown and dealing with uncertainty. That's an ideology. Moron.

Quote:

and your Neo-Macho attitude:

You call me a neo-macho because I call you a pussy. The difference is that you really are a pussy and I simply enjoy watching sports and yet can still believe in truly equal rights for both genders.

Quote:

you're just plain wrong here.

Meow.

Quote:

You can claim that psychics are no more truthful than religious leaders,

Done and done.

Quote:

but you ignore that psychics mostly charge for their services and call it a day.

AHAHHHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAAHHA!

That's hilarious. You are kidding yourself if you think that charging for services and calling it a day is limited to psychics. NEWSFLASH: That's just about how everything works today.

Quote:

They have little value to society.

Define value. That's your opinion. If people didn't think that these psychics were real, they wouldn't be able to stay in business. Obviously people believe in what they say and obviously to those that support them, they do provide a valuable service.

Let's just rephrase that to "They have little value to me in society so therefore they should be eliminated in gas chambers."

Quote:

At least religious leaders are involved in charity as an inextricable part of their job and a part of their life.

Some. Not all. Not even close.

Quote:

So, no, i'm not "deciding who's right or who's wrong" here.

Ok, so we are playing the game called "Say One Thing in the Above Paragraphs and then Claim to Not Have Said Those Things." Gotcha.

Quote:

That's not it at all.

But you just said that was it...

Quote:

But when you look at it in the broader scheme of things, religious leaders are more valuable to society than psychics...

...to YOU.

Quote:

I'm an honest guy. I don't hide behind semantics like some pussies.

Quote:

"Attack!"

Oh how neo-macho of you. Bah. That's such a silly phrase. I bet that thong was riding up on you when you decided to adopt it.
  • Reply 19 of 21
    Quote:

This posting is the post of the year in my book. I have never laughed so much. Way to go Shawn!

That nailed it. Funny how truth can be so funny if it is simply presented as Shawn stated it.

We of course don't intend on running off BR as he has such an interesting and rare viewpoint that is so interesting to deconstruct.

Fellows

Thank you, Fellowship.

• Reply 20 of 21
    Quote:

[i]We of course don't intend on running off BR as he has such an interesting and rare viewpoint that is so interesting to deconstruct.

Fellows [/B]

I'm not a pussy so a few false accusations aren't going to make me piss and moan or potentially run off the board.