Does this picture look Photoshopped?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014

If you follow sports you've probably seen the story the last couple days about Iowa State basketball coach partying through the wee hours with Missou co-eds after the Cyclones game there last January.

The guy has always struck me as a little slimy, but his lawyer says he doubts the authenticity of the photos.

What do you PS experts think?

There are more pics here

Jeff

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Definitely, I wouldn't want to be seen with a dog like that
  • Reply 2 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Hard to tell with the poor JPEG compression. The contrast of the photo does not seem to be consistant with that of film, but it could have been scnned poorly.

The histogram of the image is tripped out, but that may be the result of the scanner or compression used.

Need a origonal file to test.
  • Reply 3 of 15
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jeffyboy

The guy has always struck me as a little slimy, but his lawyer says he doubts the authenticity of the photos.

I think you read that wrong. The exact quote:

Quote:

Neither Iowa State officials nor Eustachy, through his legal representative, disputed the photos' authenticity.

key words: neither...disputed...authenticity
  • Reply 4 of 15
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    Quote:

key words: neither...disputed...authenticity

Oops! Actually, I heard wrong listening to the radio. I'm glad he's being stand-up about the pictures anyway.

An article in the Des Moines Register called for him to be fired. I'm not sure he should be as a disciplinary action, but his credibilty in recruiting has got to be shot.

Thanks for your trouble, anyway Ebby!

Jeff
  • Reply 5 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

Hard to tell with the poor JPEG compression. The contrast of the photo does not seem to be consistant with that of film, but it could have been scnned poorly.

The histogram of the image is tripped out, but that may be the result of the scanner or compression used.

Need a origonal file to test.

You can actually test the authenicity of a photo?
  • Reply 6 of 15
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    I have to leave for class now so I will post more later.

The histogram does not actually test the authenicity of a photo, but there are patterns in digital vs. analog film. This is one way to check a photo because many "professional" retouchers forget about the histogram or don't know haw to interpert the data. There are easy ways to cheat and avoid this. More after these commercials...

• Reply 7 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Ebby

I have to leave for class now so I will post more later.

The histogram does not actually test the authenicity of a photo, but there are patterns in digital vs. analog film. This is one way to check a photo because many "professional" retouchers forget about the histogram or don't know haw to interpert the data. There are easy ways to cheat and avoid this. More after these commercials...

Yes, Ebby, please enlighten us all.
  • Reply 8 of 15
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    hard to tell for sure. The scan is very bad. I could have very easily created that. their is a little fuzz around the girls head. And his arm could have been placed. The pose is one with strong overlaps. The kind of thing that photoshoppers like to do. But, if i had to guess i would give it a 65% chance of being real. Is there a higher rez version available.?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    On the other side it looks like some dude is trying to kiss him. That is a weird histogram.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    colanderofdeathcolanderofdeath Posts: 1,261member
    I don't think we need histogram analysis in this case. The fact that he folded his tent for now and made his media play as an Admission->Guilt->Forgiveness ploy so that he can play the Redemption Card in a few years and thereby make himself eligible for that staple of sports stories, The Great Comeback?. It's the sensible angle to take of course. If the pics were fake then he obviously would have fought it; I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone who would give up a million dollar annual salary without a better fight. Not to mention the embarrassment of being photographed kissin ugly fat chicks with Natural Light in hand. That's true cruelty. No one would stand for that sort of character destruction if it weren't true.
  • Reply 11 of 15
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Blown out of proportion. Yeesh...can't a guy party hard once in a while? :P
  • Reply 12 of 15
    rick1138rick1138 Posts: 938member
    They should give him a medal.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

No *hit!!
  • Reply 14 of 15
    jcjc Posts: 342member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Eugene

my line of thinking is that it is very innocent as well.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    On one hand I find the whole thing pretty funny, but something about it really bugs me, too (I'm an ISU fan.) The fact that it was on the road, after a loss makes him look like an especially big boob.

Just a stupid, stupid thing for a 47 year old guy with his job.

At the very least he should have hit the road after the first picture was taken.

Jeff