Yellow Dog Linux 3.0

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
http://www.yellowdoglinux.com/products/ydl.shtml

Yellow Dog Linux is a complete, Red Hat and RPM-based operating system for PowerPC computers. Yellow Dog Linux version 3.0 is Terra Soft's most recent release which offers a completely rebuilt Installer, 1300 packages on 6 CDs (3 Install, 3 Source), a unified KDE and GNOME desktop environment featuring shared menus, applications, and user interface.

With enhanced support for the latest ATI and NVidia graphics cards (full 3D support for the ATI Radeon series), "video issues" are a thing of the past.

Based upon the 'Anaconda' installer engine, the Yellow Dog Linux Installer leverages automated, advanced hardware detection; provides on-screen help, flexible package selection, multiple install methods (CD-ROM, FTP, HTTP, NFS), creation of ext3 partitions, embedded XFree86 (video) testing, multiple ethernet and wireless port configuration, and automated partition creation.

You have never before seen anything like this on your Mac!

Wanting to spif up that PowerBook 3400? How about serve email from your 7500? Got an 8500 or a Beige G3 that's itch'n to try something new? Yellow Dog's full featured graphical environment runs amazingly fast and stable on older Apple hardware as well as the latest that Apple has to offer.

6 CDs (3 binary, 3 source)

Anaconda installer engine

RPM Package Manager 4.1

GNU LibC (glibc) 2.3.1

GNU Compiler Collection (gcc) 3.2.1

XFree86 4.3

KDE 3.1

GNOME 2.2

Wonderland unified theme for KDE and GNOME

NVidia GeForce 4 and ATI Radeon 9000 support

Mac-on-Linux 0.9.68 (OS X 10.2)

Kernel 2.4.20

OpenOffice.org

apt-get for automated RPM updates

Completely revised "Getting Started with Yellow Dog Linux" book (290 pages; available with full box set)

Notable, new hardware support for Apple eMac, GeForce 4 MX-based Power Macs, PowerBook 12"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 3
    cubedudecubedude Posts: 1,556member
    I'm going to install that as soon as I can download it as my first ever chance to use Linux. Should I consider a different disrtobution, or is YDL good for a Linux(but not UNIX) newbie?
  • Reply 2 of 3
    1337_5l4xx0r1337_5l4xx0r Posts: 1,558member
    YDL is a great linux newbie distro. Just remember you'll need to reformat you hd (unless you have a spare 2GB+ partition). Linux distros tend to want you to have a swap partition, however, if you have 512MB+ of ram, **** it.
  • Reply 3 of 3
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I installed YDL on my old Lime iMac. The only problem I had was of my own making. On some of the older machines all bootable partitions have to be in the first 6 Gigs. I upgraded to a 20 Gig drive. You can see where that went. After I figured it out and put all boot partitions on the first 6 .. joy. I sent a note the YDL and got a reply that same day. So ... that's good.

So, yea, YDL is good.

edit to add

I have a dual boot Linux and OS 9 machine.