New iPods - compatible with Mac OS 9.2?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Does anybody know if they are -- and if not, why not?

The Apple website seems to have contradictory info...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i think a better question is: why are you using 9.2?

but seriously, i'm pretty sure that they do, because (and i'm not sure if i remember this correctly) i think the ipod update had a separate download option for niner. it wouldn't make sense to make the updaet available and not have sync/itunes abilities. also, i dont think any major internal changes have been made, atleast not that would affect 9-compatibility.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    ringoringo Posts: 329member
    iPod 1.3 is, iPod 2.0 isn't.

In other words: old iPods, yes. New iPods, no.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by vderi

if not, why not?

Because Mac OS 9 is dead.

There is no reason for Apple to devote major resources to developing software for a dead OS to add support for new hardware like the iPod.

Perhaps you missed the video of Jobs giving a eulogy with the giant Mac OS 9 box and the coffin, yes?
  • Reply 4 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

Because Mac OS 9 is dead.

There is no reason for Apple to devote major resources to developing software for a dead OS to add support for new hardware like the iPod.

Perhaps you missed the video of Jobs giving a eulogy with the giant Mac OS 9 box and the coffin, yes?

That was at last years WWDC.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    This sucks for me, because my local broadband provider (RoadRunner) says they can't guarantee optimal performance with OS X. That's the reason I am staying with 9.2.2. I don't know what kind of problems I'd have, but when your provider says flat-out they can't guarantee optimal performance, it's a red flag.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

This sucks for me, because my local broadband provider (RoadRunner) says they can't guarantee optimal performance with OS X. That's the reason I am staying with 9.2.2. I don't know what kind of problems I'd have, but when your provider says flat-out they can't guarantee optimal performance, it's a red flag.

do NOT believe your provider. if this is the only reason you're not switching to X, it's a silly one.

they say they can't guarantee optimal performace, but what they're really saying is that they don't want to spend the $ to train support people on X.

i got the same line from SBC. my service works flawlessy through X, much better than through 9.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    i have roderunner and get one-derful service with osx.
  • Reply 8 of 11
    grimsongrimson Posts: 108member
    "they say they can't guarantee optimal performace, but what they're really saying is that they don't want to spend the $ to train support people on X."

Okay, but what happens when I DO need support people? Am I going to be hung out to dry?

Believe me, I am DYING to upgrade to X. The new iPods and the iTunes Music Store are the final straw. i just don't want to risk screwing up my internet access.

If you guys really don't think there's any risk, I'll look into it further.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    I can say with a fair amount of certainly that there would be no "risk" about running Mac OS X with your RoadRunner connection.

My uncle has RoadRunner. I have twice taken my Mac to his house to help him with PC problems (yes, believe it or not). Both times I simply unplugged his PC from the cable modem, plugged it into my Mac's ethernet port, reset the modem, and booted up my Mac. Everything was automatically configured for DHCP. I didn't even realize anything happened until I manually started poking around the Network prefs.

It just worked.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    sebseb Posts: 676member
    I use X with roadrunner for about a year and a half now.

So do most of my friends.

Works fine.

They're full of it. It's just an ethernet connection sheesh.

Back on topic:

According to this page - http://www.apple.com/ipod/specs.html

The new iPod requires 10.1.5 or newer. So there you have it. Not supported with OS 9.
  • Reply 11 of 11
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    Quote:

Originally posted by grimson

"they say they can't guarantee optimal performace, but what they're really saying is that they don't want to spend the $ to train support people on X."

Okay, but what happens when I DO need support people? Am I going to be hung out to dry?

Believe me, I am DYING to upgrade to X. The new iPods and the iTunes Music Store are the final straw. i just don't want to risk screwing up my internet access.

If you guys really don't think there's any risk, I'll look into it further.

Because you're going to get such great OS 9 support from them?

It's an ethernet jack. It's tcp/ip. It's dhcp. It's data. It's open standards. The internet is not platform specific.