Griffin PowerMate experiences?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Does anyone own one of these? What are your experiences? Do you love it, or was it a waste of $45?

What I really want to know is can it control iTunes while iTunes is not currently the "active" application?

e.g. I'm listening to iTunes, which is minimized to the Dock, and currently typing a paper in Word, will the Powermate let me adjust the volume of iTunes <not the system volume, the iTunes volume> and skip songs without making Word lose the current focus?

Thanks for your feedback!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    I am also looking into purchasing the PowerMate, I have couple questions in addition to fuzz_ball, what are the problems with the product, any OS complications? Thanks!
  • Reply 2 of 8
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac Man 020581

I am also looking into purchasing the PowerMate, I have couple questions in addition to fuzz_ball, what are the problems with the product, any OS complications? Thanks!

i love mine. but no, you can't adjust iTunes volume from outside of iTunes. the application has to be in front for the powermate controls to work. or else the global settings are used.

edit: i use mine mostly for control in video editing aps. it makes a great video scrubber.
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Are drivers from a CD needed to be installed or does OS X have built-in drivers for the PowerMate? No one has had any problems? (That's great, though!) Thanks!
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Quote:

Are drivers from a CD needed to be installed or does OS X have built-in drivers for the PowerMate? No one has had any problems? (That's great, though!) Thanks!

you need to install the software. it adds a pref pane to system preferences.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    Is the Powermate sold at the Apple Stores?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    Quote:

Is the Powermate sold at the Apple Stores?

i believe so. i'm pretty sure i've seen them there. though the selection of 3rd party stuff at Apple Stores seems to come and go in strange cycles.
  • Reply 7 of 8
    I called the Apple store near me and they said they had it in stock. So I am going to pop over tomorrow night when they have that iPod event going on.
  • Reply 8 of 8
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    will it scroll horizontally through the time line of a Macromedia Flash file??

Thanks