This is what it's all about...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I got this email today from someone that had been listening to my shared iTunes library. He actually emailed the support team at dyndns.org asking them to forward the email to the owner of a particular domain, and they did. His story is as follows, and it really brightened up my day. Well written, well said. This is what it's all about, folks...

Quote:

I have been playing around with iTunes4 and ServerStore, and I came across your music collection. Much to my surprise, I found a song that I haven't heard, and haven't forgotten, for more than 25 years.

Back in 1976, I was living in Kano, Nigeria. I didn't have much to do, and I spent a lot of time hanging out in clubs and bars. One popular song made a big impression on me then, and when I asked my friends about it, I was told that is was by Fela Kuti and called "Water No Get Enemy".

Despite my best efforts, I was not able to buy a copy of the song. (Before I left Nigeria, I bought the "Expensive Shit" album, but then I got back to the US, there was a different record inside the album sleeve!) Now, amazingly, I am listening to that song on my computer, thanks to your sharing.

Computers get some of the credit for this serendipity, and Apple gets a little more, but you get the most. Thank you for enabling me to recover and reinforce another sliver of my fading memory.

Yeah, Apple's done some good in the world today

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    fela is the bomb....dang, reminding me or more things i should add to my iTunes...i have a few of his albums though, but not on cd...so that is more work...and i hate work

g
  • Reply 2 of 5
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i am surprised....apple music store has quite a bit of fela...including an edit of water no get enemy....

g
  • Reply 3 of 5
    pesipesi Posts: 424member
    heh. and just because of this discussion, i went ought and bought me some.

i hear kela on the local npr station all the time, but can never remember to look for him at the record store.

thank you ITMS and instant gratification

$6 for over 2 hours of music ain't half bad...
  • Reply 4 of 5
    nijiniji Posts: 288member
    i thought much the same thing when i ran into baaba maal.

pls check him out. the most interesting mix of african, reggae, and folk - almost like african-country.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Everyone go out and buy Orchestra Baobob.