Darwin Without Quartz? It Is Possible?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
Hey all. I was just wondering... Since I have GNOME installed for my X11 would it be possible to run pure Darwin with GNOME as the Window Manager instead of Quartz? I think that would be cool...

Oh and once that's set if it can be how would I revert back to Quartz if I wanted to?

Thanks...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 26
    chuckerchucker Posts: 5,089member
    Of course it's possible. Once you're at the login panel, type ">console" as user, then, from console, log in with your normal account. Then run X.
  • Reply 2 of 26
    Chucker that's exactly what I did... But it threw dozens of errors at me..... If we can set up a time to talk about it on Netfone that would be great as it's to much type out.......
  • Reply 3 of 26
    You have to make sure your path is defined, make sure that your logged in as your normal user and that your modified exinitrc is being used.

^ I have done all this and still gotten the errors, I have used different startup commands and got the grey screen wtih the x curser but nothing else..
  • Reply 4 of 26
    Dangit... If this would work it would be so awesome......
  • Reply 5 of 26
    serranoserrano Posts: 1,806member
    You're trying to run XWindows on Darwin without Aqua, not Quartz. Quartz is the rendering system, Aqua is teh gui.
  • Reply 6 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by serrano

You're trying to run XWindows on Darwin without Aqua, not Quartz. Quartz is the rendering system, Aqua is teh gui.

Um, no. Without Quartz. Quartz is the Window Server; Aqua is the Window Manager.
  • Reply 7 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Proud iBook Owner 2k2

Dangit... If this would work it would be so awesome......

Got a digital camera? Make a photo of the errors printed out. Post it here.
  • Reply 8 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

Got a digital camera? Make a photo of the errors printed out. Post it here.

I can type it out.....

The same error occurs for just about every command you try and run.

The error message(s):

"(ipc/send) invalid destination port

initCGDisplayState: cannot map display interlock

KCGErrorFailure:CGSNewConnection. Cannot Connect To Server

XP_Init: error not initialized

Can't initialize window system

giving up

xinit: no such file/directory

unable to connect to X server

xinit: No such process (errno3) Server error"

That happens when you try and execute startx, X, and so on... and it happens whether or not you're in the /usr/x11r6/bin directory or not..... What's up? Can we set it to use Xfree86 and a WM of choice like GNOME or KDE,. etc?

I hope that helps and I hope I didn't leave any errors out... If this isn't possible to do without permanent damage that would suck but it it's possible that would be great. I'll be getting a Linux box soon enough but I wanna try it first on OS X.
  • Reply 9 of 26
    I don't have Mac OS X, and I don't understand this sort of thing at all. That said, doesn't CG stand for CoreGraphics (or Quartz)? Is the X server you're trying to run meant to be used on its own?
  • Reply 10 of 26
    @_iBook: Are you by any chance using Apple's X11? That one doesn't understand rooted mode, which is what you want.

Use XDarwin instead.
  • Reply 11 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Chucker

@_iBook: Are you by any chance using Apple's X11? That one doesn't understand rooted mode, which is what you want.

Use XDarwin instead.

I have X11 but thats not what I'm trying to do...I'm trying to run GNOME independantly from quartz and aqua.... Im wondering if thats possible.
  • Reply 12 of 26
    mac the forkmac the fork Posts: 722member
    Quote:

I have X11 but thats not what I'm trying to do...I'm trying to run GNOME independantly from quartz and aqua.... Im wondering if thats possible.

Somebody's missing something here. Gnome runs on top of X. If you get X working independently, then Gnome will run independently. It certainly should be possible. The problem is, your X wants to run on top of Quartz. If you get X in rooted mode, then it won't need Quartz, and you will thus be able to run Gnome independently from Quartz and Aqua.

By the way, Quartz isn't just a window manager and Gnome isn't a window manager at all. Quartz is a display server, like X, except it has a window manager and other things built into it. Gnome comes with a window manager called Metacity.
  • Reply 13 of 26
    Quote:

Originally posted by Mac The Fork

Somebody's missing something here. Gnome runs on top of X. If you get X working independently, then Gnome will run independently. It certainly should be possible. The problem is, your X wants to run on top of Quartz. If you get X in rooted mode, then it won't need Quartz, and you will thus be able to run Gnome independently from Quartz and Aqua.

yea but how do u deactivate Quartz? How do you set GNOME as the WM and environment? That's what I wanna know...
  • Reply 14 of 26
    Oh, is it that you don't want Quartz running when you log in regularly?

Still, your current problem is that Quartz isn't running. Whatever X server you're using expects Quartz to be there.
  • Reply 15 of 26
    hmmm If i install XDarwin and run in console will GNOME work?
  • Reply 16 of 26
    According to Chucker, yeah.
  • Reply 17 of 26
    How do I set Xdar to install as Rootless?
  • Reply 18 of 26
    Don't you mean rooted (without Quartz)? If so, the FAQ would have us believe that XDarwin is already rooted and doesn't currently run in rootless 'mode':

Quote:

What's all this about X taking over my screen?

Right now, your screen is controlled by either XDarwin or Quartz, but not both at the same time. XDarwin provides (among other things) the mechanism for switching which graphics system controls the screen.

Like I said, I don't have OS X, so maybe you shouldn't take advice from me. I'd try this myself if I could. :/
  • Reply 19 of 26
    XDarwin supports both rootless and rooted mode. All you need to do is use XDarwin, not Apple's X11.

And just to get some facts straight:

- Quartz is an implementation of DisplayPDF. It is a window server.

- XDarwin and Apple's X11 are both implementations of X11, based off XFree86. Both are window servers.

- GNOME is a desktop environment, which means it includes a help system, lots of utilities, etc. It still requires a window manager. GNOME 1 typically used sawfish, and GNOME 2 typically uses metacity. Both can use other window managers. Similarly, KDE typically uses kwin, but also works fine with other window managers.

- Aqua is both a window manager and a desktop environment. It doesn't work with different window managers because it is one, and Apple does not intend to split it up.

- Because both DisplayPDF-based as well as X11-based software are window servers, you cannot normally run both at the same time. Figuratively, both try to "take over" your screen. However, XDarwin includes an option to run "rootless", which means running from within Quartz and just visually using those parts of the screen a certain application requires. Apple's X11 implementation *only* supports this "rootless" mode, which is why - on the other hand - you can*not* run it without having Quartz running *too*.
  • Reply 20 of 26
    Damn... so it's NOT possible? That sucks....