iTunes 4: help with CD burning failures?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
iTunes 4 seemed to work fine for me...that is, until I tried burning a CD from one of my playlists. On my Yamaha external FireWire CRW-2100, iTunes 4 consistently failed to successfully burn a CD. I tried burning other playlists, tried all of the media I had (both brand-name and cheap CD's)--nothing worked. I had to go back to 3.01 to get CD burning back.

Has anyone else with a third-party external CD burner had this issue? If so, are there any remedies/workarounds for this problem?

(Running 10.2.6 w/QT 6.2, 768 MB RAM, G4/400 AGP)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Running 10.2.6? Maybe that's where your problem is...
  • Reply 2 of 5
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by der Kopf

Running 10.2.6? Maybe that's where your problem is...

Oops, my mistake. I meant 10.2.5. :

On a tip from a good friend, I checked out the MacFixIt forums and apparently, Apple removed support for 3rd-party FW CD burners in iTunes 4. Or at least, that's the impression I get from the people who've posted there.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    actually, what usually happens is that 3rd party hardware doesn't always follow the rules exactly because they think some of them are stupid. then Apple changes stuff within those rules and it screws up everything outside said rules. at least that's my impression.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    rampancyrampancy Posts: 363member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alcimedes

actually, what usually happens is that 3rd party hardware doesn't always follow the rules exactly because they think some of them are stupid. then Apple changes stuff within those rules and it screws up everything outside said rules. at least that's my impression.

That certainly is a definite possibility. But the iTunes CD burner compatibility page seems to be missing...

OTOH, someone on the MFI forum said that the license/legal agreements explicity stated that you couldn't burn on 3rd-party burners. I looked for it myself and couldn't find anywhere where it said such a thing.

Oh well. Back to iTunes 3 for me...
  • Reply 5 of 5
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I've been having burning problems too, but not just with third-party hardware. Using Apple's own SuperDrive, I can't erase a CD-RW anymore.

My second optical drive, gets through most of the burns I've tried doing, but very, very slowly. What happens is that just when it seems to get going on a burn, the drive spins down, then starts back up again, then spins down, etc., sputtering it's way through the burn. A few times, this sputtering has lead to creating some coasters as well.

I don't want to give up on iTunes 4 -- I've already started piling up some AAC-encoded music -- but for now, I have to use Apple's slower SuperDrive to burn CDs, and I have to erase my CD-RW on a different computer.