What features do you wish for the iPod?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Hi,

Whilst I love the new iPod design, there are still some features I wish it had... and until these features are present, I am not inclined to buy.

I want the iPod to really integrate with all the iApps, so I am waiting for the following:

Colour screen

Ability to link with iPhoto (at least) and perhaps iMovie...(iDVD - well perhaps not!)

Audio recording (although I have seen that this is an undocumented feature, so it may be on the way already)

Any other thoughts?

(PS - apologies if this topic has been covered before, as I have been away from these pages for a while... if so, just point me in the right direction!)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    mac+mac+ Posts: 580member
    *BUMP*

Am I the only one who wants more from the iPod?

Doesn't anybody have thoughts or a wish-list for future iPod development?

(I am not a troll - I'd be interested to hear any other thoughts - or else be pointed in the right direction to read previous posts.)

Thanks.
  • Reply 2 of 16
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Wireless connection to buy tunes from the Music store

Satellite radio would be cool too.

Me thinks I'm expecting too much

Edit: Oh yeah, the recording thing brought up in the other thread. That is much more feasible, and apparently already partially implemented.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Thanks MCQ,

I think I'm a tad PDA envious - as I recently saw a TOSHIBA model that a friend had bought. I really like some of the Palm PDA's also, but I keep wishing instead that the iPOD (Personal Organisation Device?) would really help unleash the power of OSX and the iApps more thoroughly!

I love the iPod a lot - but I see greater potential than what is being demonstrated presently. So, I keep waiting and hoping.

Bring on a colour screen iPOD and integration with iPhoto and ability to view iCal in colour. Also, audio recording - even if just for voice memos!! (Yes, I know it's in the other thread - I'm just voicing my hope that it gets implemented.)

Am I waiting for too much?

Are others hoping for similar things?

Please speak out!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    I'd like to see things like a laser pointer just to play around with it or use it in presentations.

It would be nice to be able to select a startup sound like macs, or customize the "clicking" sound of the touchwheel.
  • Reply 5 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by monkeyastronaut

I'd like to see things like a laser pointer just to play around with it or use it in presentations.

It would be nice to be able to select a startup sound like macs, or customize the "clicking" sound of the touchwheel.

The laser pointer is a cool idea.

It would even be more powerful if you could play your Keynote presentations from the iPod and then use it to actually point at certain pieces of information on the projected image on screen.

Do you think the iPod could handle these ideas? After all, a 30GBHD is more than enough for audio files - surely there must be more planned for its future!

More ideas people... I want more from the iPod!
  • Reply 6 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    I'd like to see Apple do the things that make sense with the iPod.

That means absolutely NO VIDEO, or presentation features, or links with A/V production apps. The power isn't there (and won't be) and the form factor isn't suited to it. Any of the presentation speculation would require video outs, there's a dock, sure, but there really isn't the space or power to make that practical. How can you hold a tethered iPod as a laser pointer? Makes no sense, unless it were wireless video and that a LONG LONG way from being able to fit something of the iPod's size.

Two things on the iPod make immediate sense in light of the redesign. The first is, of course, to enable recording and supply a high quality mic. In light of the new USB (in addition to firewire) functionality, it also makes sense to write a driver or series of drivers that let the iPod see a connected digital camera and download images from it -- to turn the iPod into a digital wallet, that also keeps individual DL's stored as "rolls," just like iPhoto. It the makes sense to let the iPod not only talk to iTunes, but also to launch iPhoto when it is connected and autmatically submit the "rolls" to your computer.

A color screen to preview images would be nice, but it is not essential, so long as you can see that all the snaps are there, and organized and renamed, perhaps by naming the "roll" followedd by numbers 1-xxx. My vacation photos might look like roll, museum, and be numbered museum1, museum 2, etc etc. Don't need the color, you can preview imags in camera before you off load them to the pod.

So, these two features could/should happen to the iPod ASAP. I could see a lot of photographers and reporters, business people, and students picking one up just for a recorder/digital wallet with huge capacity.

What ought to be added for people that like to have fun with the pods? RADIO!!!

FM and DAB, perhaps in a small adaptor that clips to the back of the pod and uses the iPod display and buttons for navigation. No messy in-line attachments that just break or get lost easily.

Radio is not the enemy. Sometimes you want to hear the traffic reports, news, weather, the morning guy, a game (in the gym!) yadda yadda...
  • Reply 7 of 16
    starlandstarland Posts: 30member
    I need recording feature too, for my job. and, i like travel and take a lot of digital photo. memory card is always not enough for me. so I wish it can download photos from the digital camara. I can imagin how nice to travel with just Canon's IXUS and Apple's iPod!
  • Reply 8 of 16
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

A color screen to preview images would be nice, but it is not essential...

Doesn't the new iPod have a file viewer now? Couldn't they fairly easily integrate an icon viewer? With X's custom icons, specifically for pictures, it would be a low battery usage for viewing photos and such. If not icons, custom previews parsed to iPod screen sized images. I think previews might be better because all documents could have them....
  • Reply 9 of 16
    monkeyastronautmonkeyastronaut Posts: 1,343member
    I want the iPod's metal back to heat enough to make toast.
  • Reply 10 of 16
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    I would like to see it run Keynote slides on digital projectors. Laptops are great for doing lots of stuff, modifying presentations and all, but if you have a simple slide show that you do all of the time, they are still too complicated and inelegant to setup, launch, find files, double-click, etc....

Just plug in the iPod via FW or USB; set the iPod to "Slideshow....Presentation1" and use the forward/back buttons and the iPod itself as a wired remote. In this way you could also have a soundtrack of iTunes coming from the projector at the same time and you have the navigation wheel as a volume control...all in a beautiful convenient and QUICKLY BOOTABLE form.

That way you can keep your PowerBook in your briefcase and simply show the wintel world that Apple is so far ahead of them that even a simple Apple idevice can outperform their best laptops!!

Now that's the digital hub I'm talkin' about....
  • Reply 11 of 16
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    Just to harp on a point from another thread... I sure would like the iPod to be able to do smooth, gapless playback of tracks that are meant to flow one into the other without any pops, clicks, or silence (however brief) in between the tracks.
  • Reply 12 of 16
    Quote:

Originally posted by MacGregor

I would like to see it run Keynote slides on digital projectors. (snip)

Just plug in the iPod via FW or USB; set the iPod to "Slideshow....Presentation1" and use the forward/back buttons and the iPod itself as a wired remote. In this way you could also have a soundtrack of iTunes coming from the projector at the same time and you have the navigation wheel as a volume control...all in a beautiful convenient and QUICKLY BOOTABLE form.

That way you can keep your PowerBook in your briefcase and simply show the wintel world that Apple is so far ahead of them that even a simple Apple idevice can outperform their best laptops!!

Now that's the digital hub I'm talkin' about....

Amen to that!

That is exactly the type of stuff I'm talking about.

Also to download digital photos from your camera would be cool too. A huge 30GB drive could easily hold a vacation's worth of shots! For these two reasons, we need the colour screen. C'mon you know it's coming some time!
  • Reply 13 of 16
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    The iPod most certainly does NOT have the hardware capability to deliver any sort of credible video or presentation. Sure, it might be able to act as the storage for one, but you will need the power of a laptop, or computer to do it, and once you need that, you might as well use that. No need for the added complexity of using an iPod. So basically the iPod is just a portable HDD that lets your computer play whatever files. It will not have that kind of power in such a small device for quite some time.

But it would be a cool thing to add, in 4 or 5 years.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    they should just add that feature to a projector with a f/w port...
  • Reply 15 of 16
    thttht Posts: 5,443member
    Quote:

A color screen to preview images would be nice, ...

So, these two features could/should happen to the iPod ASAP. I could see a lot of photographers and reporters, business people, and students picking one up just for a recorder/digital wallet with huge capacity.

Well, why not make it a digital camera too! If a Palm can do it, so can the iPod. Kidding.

Quote:

What ought to be added for people that like to have fun with the pods? RADIO!!!

This is all I'm waiting for. Don't understand why Apple doesn't want to add it. I'm sure the AM antenna coil will take up some room, so there'd be less volume for batteries and others, but I wouldn't mind having it 0.1 inches thicker or 0.5 inches taller either. My 500 bucks are waiting on it.

One thing that can open up the possibilities is to make the touch-sensitive wheel input (and center "button") a pen inputtable pad. Then, the PDA possibilities really open up instead of jury rigged the way it is. On the other hand, having it computer dependent the way it is seems to be the proper way to go.
  • Reply 16 of 16
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Quote:

The iPod most certainly does NOT have the hardware capability to deliver any sort of credible video or presentation. Sure, it might be able to act as the storage for one, but you will need the power of a laptop, or computer to do it, and once you need that, you might as well use that. No need for the added complexity of using an iPod. So basically the iPod is just a portable HDD that lets your computer play whatever files. It will not have that kind of power in such a small device for quite some time.

But it would be a cool thing to add, in 4 or 5 years.

Your're right Matsu, I sorta forgot the whole graphic chip part of the equation. I suppose it doesn't make sense to have external graphic cards hooked to the iPod via FW. You'd have to carry two things around and you might as well have the laptop with you.

But...

There is just another reason for having a 8-10" widescreen subPowerbook! Basically an iPod (w/970 of course) with a color screen and decent graphic card with I/O, but no optical drives.

And...

I wonder if "gigawire" or another technology will eventually allow us to get external graphic cards the same way we can get external zip drives and external harddrives, etc.

Just hook up the external nNidia "GoVid" to the "gigawire" port and voila you can hook up a second display to your iMac or Powerbook!! Then it could be the video driver to an iPod!