Installing pioneer drive in older G4 tower

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
I know there was a thread created on this previously. I am well aware that it works okay and will use iMovie.

I was wondering if anyone had any information about iDVD render times with older machines or older machines with accelerators.

I have a Powermac G4@450 with 1 gig of ram. I remember them saying 733 mhz would render at 1/2 speed or real time. I would think that my computer would likely do 1/4 to 1/3 or real time. I could be wrong though and hence this post.

Also has anyone here installed an accelerator and used iDVD with an older Mac. What were your render times for iDVD like?

Nick

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    I installed the Pioneer A05 in my 350MHz AGP Sawtooth. It has a 1GHz Sonnet upgrade card. My 45 minute iMovie rendered in a little over an hour. Not real time, but not too bad for me.

There's still rendering times for menus later, when I re-open the project and burn it again. In total, reburning the project takes about 40 minutes, including the re-rendering of the menus, and 20 minutes after that, using 2X media.