Old man of the mountains collapses

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm not sure if the national media is picking this up at all, but the natural stone formation collapsed during the night. Not much is known yet, other than the fact that it is completely destroyed. The face was believed formed after the last glacial age and took thousands of years to create.

Geologists had predicted it was extremely unlikely that it would fall, but the state had made some precautions just in case. Unfortunately, it was not enough.

The landmark was the state symbol, appears on the New Hampshire state quarter, all road signs, all license plates, all police vehicles, and more.

I was just up in Lincoln about a week ago and saw it. Now it's gone. Unbelievable.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    applemasterapplemaster Posts: 144member
    It is a shame. Here are some pictures:

• Reply 2 of 9
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    i had no idea... never heard of it....

i never could figure out what was on your quarter...

oh well... not the end of the world... as long as the delicate arch is still around
  • Reply 3 of 9
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I had no idea what it was either. And that "Live Free or Die" slogan is a bit funky. It sounds so much like a threat.
  • Reply 4 of 9
    jeffyboyjeffyboy Posts: 1,055member
    I feel bad for the folks that had a sentimental attachment to it.

Just asking-do those pictures do it justice?

Jeff
  • Reply 5 of 9
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    This sucks. Any word on why it happened?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    al queda!
  • Reply 7 of 9
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

al queda!

Neocon conspiracy!

You're right about the national media Fran. I first read about it at BBC web site last night.
  • Reply 8 of 9
    spartspart Posts: 2,060member
    "Live Free or Die." Hmm.

In the words of Bill Bryson, "Why don't we change it to 'Live Free or Bitch Mightily?'"

• Reply 9 of 9
    sledgehammersledgehammer Posts: 505member
    Wow, that's a real bummer. I mean, worse things have happened, but it's kinda dissappointing, you know. I'm from New England, so I'm familiar with the structure...saw it years ago, when I was little.

It's too bad...