TS: ATI All-In-Wonder Mac edition

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
Finally! High-end graphics and I/O on one card. Hope the Mac software supports TIVO-like functions.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17
    davegeedavegee Posts: 2,765member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kecksy:

<strong>Finally! High-end graphics and I/O on one card. Hope the Mac software supports TIVO-like functions. </strong><hr></blockquote>

For those who don't know (TS be Think Secret)

<a href="http://www.thinksecret.com/news/atiallinwonder.html"; target="_blank">http://www.thinksecret.com/news/atiallinwonder.html</a>;

Nice find and thanks for the heads up!

Dave
  • Reply 2 of 17
    Damn beat me to the post!
  • Reply 3 of 17
    can someone explain what this card does? is it a graphics card that would replace like a GF 2MX? or is it like the TIVO? or is it both?

is it a card that i can put in an empty slot in my powermac, or is it one of those USB ones?
  • Reply 4 of 17
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    [quote]Originally posted by Max8319:

<strong>can someone explain what this card does? is it a graphics card that would replace like a GF 2MX? or is it like the TIVO? or is it both?

</strong><hr></blockquote>

It's both. It goes in your AGP slot.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    This is a (fantastic) graphics card. It will replace your current graphics card in the Power Mac. So it won't be an option for eMac/iMac/iBook/PowerBook users.

It also has TIVO-like abilities.

This is a product that Mac "enthusiasts" have been BEGGING for.

Barto

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: Barto ]</p>
  • Reply 6 of 17
    This is really wonderful. I've been vocal on the issue of no AiW support for quite some time, and now that TS brings such good news it really is cause for Mac users to be excited. One of the reasons why AiW support is so important is that we basically have no other consumer A/V solutions available. I will be very pleased when ATi announces the products for sale.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    I sure hope Apple offers it as a BTO option ASAP and that ATI goes all the way with a 128MB DDR AGP model both OEM for Apple and Retail with TwinView capacity PLUS the NTSC/PAL i/o. And I hope they also offer it as an identical PCI card with no less feature set than the AGP model so we can put in two to record 2 shows at once and hook up four organic flat panels if we want to. Ultra Quad Desktop possabilities from the dual TwinView AiW AGP+PCI Twin-Pack for say $600 with 9700s and MPEG-2 Hardware encoders on each. Whoopie!!
  • Reply 8 of 17
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    What, they have hardware MPEG 2 encoders? :eek: That would be nice.
  • Reply 9 of 17
    iDVD 2.1 and DVD Studio Pro 1.5 both use the G4's altavec engine to do the encoding. But I'm dreaming of a dedicated MPEG-2 encoding chip on the next generation AiW from ATI. I can always dream can't I? Isn't that what this section is for ? Listing our dreams and educated and uneducated guesses?

[ 09-18-2002: Message edited by: Multimedia ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 17
    murkmurk Posts: 935member
    I would get excited if something like this supported all the channels on my digital cable, but I doubt that will ever happen.
  • Reply 11 of 17
    aquaticaquatic Posts: 5,602member
    I wonder what version of the Radeon it will have? 9700?
  • Reply 12 of 17
    stoostoo Posts: 1,490member
    What educated guesses?

I was just surprised because my All-In-Wonder (PC) uses the CPU for encoding and I'd expect it to stay that way as CPUs get faster and video cards stay about the same price.
  • Reply 13 of 17
    OH SH*T!! This is exactly what I have wanted for years. Thank you ATI, I hope it comes out this fall and will be based on the 9700. If this comes with really good OS X software then it should be a hit.Only thing is it will be an AGP version, so if it is not based on the Radeon 9700 I will have to choose whether I want this card or a regular 970. Any chance this could be PCI? Then I could have this in addition to the 9700 card I already planned on shelling out $$$ for. I'm excited about this.
  • Reply 14 of 17
    ironically this would be the thing most likely to make me get a new Mac! Now we just need AGP 8x
  • Reply 15 of 17
    jcgjcg Posts: 777member
    The question that begs to be asked, will ATI finally release a retail card that will fit in a Cube?
  • Reply 16 of 17
    I don't think they will. Something that apple should do is redesign the Cube and relaunch it with dual processors, DDR ram, ATI All-in-Wonders and a 167MHz FSB. Then I would be happy.
  • Reply 17 of 17
    I think they could successfully relaunch it. They just need to keep the price down. That was all that was wrong with the Cube. It's a great system, and I might consider that as my next system, along with an upgraded CPU and video card. It's perfect for my absolutely miniscule dorm room.