Terminal Help

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
How do uninsall Terminal apps that launch everytime I launch the Terminal? I had tried installing a couple of apps in a failed attempt to overburn a cd. Anyway, this is what the terminal looks like after it is launched:

Last login: Sun May 4 10:59:54 on ttyp1

cd /Users/joshvogt/Desktop/MissingMediaBurner/MissingMediaBurner.app//Contents/Resources/opt/schily/Welcome to Darwin!

bin

./cdrecord -overburn -multi dev=IODVDServices /Users/joshvogt/Desktop/image.img

[CPE003065a5d834-CM014100210383:~] joshvogt% cd /Users/joshvogt/Desktop/MissingMediaBurner/MissingMediaBurner.app//Contents/Resources/opt/schily/bin

/Users/joshvogt/Desktop/MissingMediaBurner/MissingMediaBurner.app//Contents/Resources/opt/schily/bin: No such file or directory.

[CPE003065a5d834-CM014100210383:~] joshvogt% ./cdrecord -overburn -multi dev=IODVDServices /Users/joshvogt/Desktop/image.img

./cdrecord: Command not found.

[CPE003065a5d834-CM014100210383:~] joshvogt%

This isn't causing any problems with my computer, I just don't want this stuff around anymore. Please help.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    well, there are a couple of places these could be coming from depending on which shell you use. if you use tcsh (the macosx default), then they are coming from your tcsh profile (.tcshrc), or from .cshrc (which they could also be in if you use c-shell). if you use bash, sh, or similars they could be coming from .profile or from .bash_profile. if you go to your home folder, and do:

ls .tcshrc .cshrc .profile .bash_profile

it should show you which of those files you have. then, you can open them up in a text editor, like TextEdit, and cut out the offending lines. to open one in TextEdit, you can do:

open /Applications/TextEdit.app .tcshrc

(or replace .tcshrc with any of the files, and repeat the open step per file).

in textedit, look for lines that you don't want, like ./cdrecord, and cd /Users/.... Also, if you dont want the "Last Login: ..." line, you can touch "~/.hushlogin". when that file is in your home folder, than the shell doesn't report the last login time anymore.

edit: if they aren't coming from there, they could also be in /usr/share/tcsh/examples/. there are several files in there, that may be executed on tcsh's startup. on macosx.1 and lower, i think that these files are located somewhere else.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    I couldn't seems to get this work. I always got a "no such file or directory" Oh well, thanks for the help.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

I couldn't seems to get this work. I always got a "no such file or directory" Oh well, thanks for the help.

well, i expected you might get that for a few of the files, but i thought you'd find at least one of them. hmm. you can also try to see if you have .login, i'm pretty sure that also gets executed on shell's startup. i can't think of any others.

are you running jaguar (mac os x 10.2)?

the next step, i would think is to try this: echo $SHELL, and that can tell you exactly what shell you are running. (it'll probably give you the full path to the shell) then i'd recommend reading the manual, and seeing if it mentions which files are executed on launch (or respond back and tell me what echo $SHELL told you, and i can try and do the dirty work).
  • Reply 4 of 6
    inactionmaninactionman Posts: 618member
    Alright, echo $SHELL says /bin/tcsh. I'm running 10.2. Thanks again.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    Quote:

Originally posted by InactionMan

Alright, echo $SHELL says /bin/tcsh. I'm running 10.2. Thanks again.

okay, apparently there are a lot of files to look for. i suggest you do:

ls -A /etc/csh.cshrc /etc/csh.login ~/.tcshrc ~/.cshrc ~/.history ~/.login ~/.cshdirs $histfile $dirsfile /usr/share/tcsh/examples/*

then open each of the files that are found, and open them, and look for any offending lines.

note: $histfile and $dirsfile aren't the names of files, but instead are an environment variables. ls will convert them into a file names, and look for them, and if either exists, the file names will be printed like the others. also, /usr/share/.../* isn't a file name, but ls will convert it to (several) file names, and will look for them.

actually, its possible that the offending lines aren't coming from any of these files, but from files that they execute. that may make your search a bit tougher and longer. if you don't see the exact commands in ~/.login, ~/.cshrc, or ~/.tcshrc, then I would look for a line that looks like this:

source /path/to/suspicious_file

or

/path/to/suspicious_file

where /path/to can be any unix-style path (or even nothing), and suspicious_file is something with MediaBurner in the name, or possibly with cdrecord in the name. each of the files i mentioned above is executed by the shell (well, some of them are mutually exclusive), but often scripts are written, and only referenced from those files. often these scripts are mentioned at the bottoms of files, but they could be anywhere. you could look inside /usr/local/bin (ls /usr/local/bin/*), and see if you have any files in there that have suspicious names.

if you aren't sure about what to look for, and if you feel comfortable showing your profiles to the world, you can reply back with the full contents of the ~/.login, ~/.cshrc, ~/.tcshrc files (or as many are actual files). the other ones (i think) are pretty long, and unlikely to have what you are looking for in them.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    maybe a try a...

cat /etc/csh.cshrc /etc/csh.login ~/.tcshrc ~/.cshrc ~/.history ~/.login ~/.cshdirs $histfile $dirsfile /usr/share/tcsh/examples/* | grep cdrecord

and see if you get anything returned. If not then you know it's not in any of those files.