iTMS: 1 million songs in a week.

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Well, the results look positive. And the stock is actually going UP on this news. Wow.

link

Good stuff.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    Hmmmm Great Start!

Apple keep adding new tracks. This is a product that needs to evolve and get better and bigger.

Once Apple gets entrenched and gets Critical Mass it won't matter that other players enter the market.

I know that iTMS pretty much solidifies my future purchase of an iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 33
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Well the Apple Hot News page has a press release that says internally Universal was expecting one million downloads in the first month. If that's the expectation, I no longer have any fears about the service. I never thought one million in a month would be a problem, even if one million a week probably won't sustain.

Good news.
  • Reply 3 of 33
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

I know that iTMS pretty much solidifies my future purchase of an iPod.

i agree...i always wanted an iPod, but i have a nice, functional mp3 player...so it was hard to justify getting a new one...but with the iTMS and the new iPods...hell, i can no longer resist....i have been downloading my cds into iTunes at a fast pace (went from about 2 g of songs to 10 g since the store opened....mostly since people are streaming and i wanted to give a wide selection for them to listen to)...i will give the old player to one of the kids...have to wait to see if i need the 30 g player....15 would be ok, but 20 would be perfect....will probably get the 15 and just limit some of my selection...do i really need that many songs to drive to work??

g
  • Reply 4 of 33
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    It was brilliant to release the iPods along with the Music Store. I bet they like the profit situation with iPods more than the Music Store, and in some ways I bet they're hoping the Music Store drives iPod (and Mac) sales more than being a profit center on its own.

I've been thinking about getting an iPod, but I just have a hard time imagining when I would use it. I have a CD player in my car, at work (in the computer), and several at home. The only place I can imagine using it is when I'm cutting the grass. \
  • Reply 5 of 33
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    Hi.
  • Reply 6 of 33
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,423member
    I think it would be nice for Apple to give a little credit to Mac users who have supported this effort whole heartedly.

I think the fun kicks off when Apple gets rights to promote. I envision that the "real" profits will come from the backend.

For instance. UMG wants to move a few artits. Get them known. Well all they need to do is give Apple a bigger slice of the pie. For a specified timeframe they can give Apple .50 per song. Apple gives front page status to the new artists. 100,000 downloads later Apple's raked in an additional $15,000.

Indies could price themselves lower than the Big 5 as well making their tracks more profitable. Ahhh to be a fly on the wall and be privvy to the Back End deals is what I'd love.
  • Reply 7 of 33
    i use my mp3 player when jogging and at the gym....i can see using an iPod in the car on road trips as i wouldn't have to carry all those cds...i would use it on vacation and at the beach...i could see using it more than my current mp3 player...i have a pc at work....with an iPod i could play my music from home without lugging cd's all over...

g

i also think apple should have stuff for sale....i can get some new stuff at target or best buy for less than 9.99...and there are budget series cds that are less too....one price does not fit all....perhaps this will come about after they get through the first stages of the apple music store
  • Reply 8 of 33
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    1million songs x.99 =990,000

.34 x 990,000 = 396,000

granted albums they dont make as much as a song but still that is alot!

in one week, and if they are adding more constantly i assume people will keep downloading
  • Reply 9 of 33
    Quote:

Originally posted by thegelding

i agree...i always wanted an iPod, but i have a nice, functional mp3 player...so it was hard to justify getting a new one...but with the iTMS and the new iPods...hell, i can no longer resist....i have been downloading my cds into iTunes at a fast pace (went from about 2 g of songs to 10 g since the store opened....mostly since people are streaming and i wanted to give a wide selection for them to listen to)...i will give the old player to one of the kids...have to wait to see if i need the 30 g player....15 would be ok, but 20 would be perfect....will probably get the 15 and just limit some of my selection...do i really need that many songs to drive to work??

g

so how much did you spend?!
  • Reply 10 of 33
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

.34 x 990,000 = 396,000

in one week, and if they are adding more constantly i assume people will keep downloading

I would also very much like to contribute to the numbers, if only Apple made the iTMS available in europe
  • Reply 11 of 33
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    Quote:

.34 x 990,000 = 396,000

I don't think that rate is sustainable. A large portion of those who were going to try iTMS, liked it and downloaded their past favorites or CDs they've been meaning to buy flooded in.

Notice the projected sales (from Universal Group?) of 1 million in a month. That was their expected "introduction flood". They're not used to the RDF effect on the money register. They expected an average of 250,000 songs per week for the first month. (or perhaps 500K then 300K then 200K then 100K) Regardless, I think the first wave is done.

With new songs coming in weekly and more Mac users who aren't necessarily the Must-Have-It-Now type, the rate will drop to, say, 100,000 per week for the next month.

After that is the real test. Will the Mac users be sated? Will it shrivel to low tens of thousands? This is where iTunes for Windows becomes so crucial.

Screed
  • Reply 12 of 33
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    As long as the catalog keeps growing, there's no reason to see a precipitous drop off. The catalog will grow several thousand each week, until windows users get a taste of the RDF. Then it'll bounce back up and by then iTMS will be established and Apple will take over the WORLD!!! (Ok, that last part was wishful thinking, but....)

edit: I'm a moron because I can't spell today.
  • Reply 13 of 33
    keep in mind my number are not only off because i dont know how many albums and what but that isnt' pure profit, they have to pay out for servers and hosting

but with europe or even the PC users in the US would be a big push...the more people you can get into it the better apple (they know it, just difficult to do) is because the flood will be big of the testers but then by sheer numbers it will 'shrivel' to somethign smaller which will still be a good number

Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

I would also very much like to contribute to the numbers, if only Apple made the iTMS available in europe

it would help profit alot!
  • Reply 14 of 33
    Quote:

so how much did you spend?!

i should have been more precise...most of the 8 g's i added were of the vast CD collection i have that i never bothered to add to iTunes (i usually listen to my stereo, not my computer...i am added some of my collection so people have a wider choice to stream from....most of the 2 g's i had before were songs i was mixing for my kids)....

i've purchased 4 albums and an exclusive song...50 songs total for about 42 bucks....

g
  • Reply 15 of 33
    muahmuah Posts: 165member
    Steve needs to work this thing like a drug dealer. Give away 10 songs or 1 album free with every new iPod to get people hooked. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have iPods that will continue to be satisfied with stealing music. If they had a good reason to try the music store, it might help a few of them.

<Chris Rock voice>People don't sell drugs, drugs sell themselves!</Chris Rock voice>
  • Reply 16 of 33
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    Quote:

Originally posted by muah

Steve needs to work this thing like a drug dealer. Give away 10 songs or 1 album free with every new iPod to get people hooked. I am sure there are plenty of people out there that have iPods that will continue to be satisfied with stealing music. If they had a good reason to try the music store, it might help a few of them.

<Chris Rock voice>People don't sell drugs, drugs sell themselves!</Chris Rock voice>

They do need to give some away, but not right now. The demand is incredible, so why give it away? When things die down, that's when they'll offer freebies. Til then, they're riding the wave.

And it's quite a big wave if you'll believe the stock market: AAPL's up $2.00+ right now.
  • Reply 17 of 33
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    Wow... huge jump. Bah, heh why didn't I think about trying to figure out how the heck to start a internet stock trade account or whatever it is and buy Apple 1.5 weeks ago. It was only up $0.80 half an hour or so ago... let's see how it closes out the next 30 min.
  • Reply 18 of 33
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    Quote:

but with europe or even the PC users in the US would be a big push..

PC users in the US???? Give Mac users in ****ing Europe first for crying out loud!
  • Reply 19 of 33
    frawgzfrawgz Posts: 547member
    Quote:

Originally posted by NETROMac

It's not Apple's fault. I think more than one media source has covered this.
  • Reply 20 of 33
    kim kap solkim kap sol Posts: 2,987member
    Quote:

Originally posted by sapi

PC users in the US???? Give Mac users in ****ing Europe first for crying out loud!

I really hope Canada gets the service before Europe does. We're the ****ing neighboring country for Christsake. We're subject to the same North American standards and regulations.