Is iTunes 4 causing you to rethink your iTunes library?

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
In the olden days of iTunes 3, the main use for my iTunes library was to feed my iPod. Since I typically listened to the iPod in my car, my selection of music consisted mostly of favorite cuts from pop/rock albums -- the kinds of cuts that work well in shuffle play.

If music (especially classical) didn't compete well against road noise, I left it out. If a track only worked well in the context of a complete album (some pop/rock, a lot of classical) I didn't put it on my iPod because I'd seldom be listening long enough in one stretch to hear a complete album. If a track would stand out like a sore thumb in a random shuffle with everything else on my iPod, it wouldn't be there. (Yes, I know I can get around the last issue using playlists, but selecting playlists while driving can be hazardous to your health. )

In the brave new world of iTunes 4, however, I'm rethinking my iTunes collection. Even before iTunes 4 I'd been considering putting all of my music on a server of some sort anyway, especially for use with something like the SLIMP3, but iTunes 4 with its streaming capability has given me a lot more incentive to get going on this idea.

Now I want iTunes to have most, if not everything, I'd want to listen to available -- making it, gee, I dunno know, sort of a Digital Hub for all of my music.

I expect soon that the SLIMP3, or something like it, will support DAAP streaming, so that I'll be able to listen to music from my Mac on good sound equipment in the comfort of my living room. Plus now that I can share my music with other people, I'd like to offer a broader selection of the music I enjoy for others to try out. More complete albums. More classical. A little jazz.

I'm looking forward to iTunes for Windows, because then I'll be able to listen to my own music at work without even having to bring my iPod with me.