Finder UI suggestion

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
I'd like Finder windows where you are able to adjust the icon size independently of each other.

I think this would make the whole Finder more intuitive when navigating through multiple windows at speed, and also allow you to give a visual clue as to the latest version of a file etc.

I'd post a mock-up, but I don't know how to do embed it in a post!

\

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    i'm not sure if i am thinking about it correctly but it would seem that doing what you do would make the finder look cluttery
  • Reply 2 of 20
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Cluttery is my vote too.
  • Reply 3 of 20
    costiquecostique Posts: 1,084member
    Do you mean this?

ResExcellence
  • Reply 4 of 20
    thats only 5 file and i think it is starting to look cluttery
  • Reply 5 of 20
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Quote:

Originally posted by costique

Do you mean this?

ResExcellence

How did you do that?
  • Reply 6 of 20
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    No, I'm thinking a window with maybe a dozen or so files or folders, with maybe a couple of them at a different size.

For instance, you might have all previous versions of a file at 32x32 px, and the latest version sitting at the top of the window at 48x 48 px. You'd know instantly which file you should be clicking on, without having to read the label.

It's a bit like text on a page, if scale is used properly it increases readability - you wouldn't have every line of text in an annual report the same size. But if every piece of text is a different size it confuses the eye, and becomes very hard to read. I think there's a sweet spot there somewhere.

But I do concede that it would be very easy to go overboard. But that's up to the user?
  • Reply 7 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

No, I'm thinking a window with maybe a dozen or so files or folders, with maybe a couple of them at a different size.

For instance, you might have all previous versions of a file at 32x32 px, and the latest version sitting at the top of the window at 48x 48 px. You'd know instantly which file you should be clicking on, without having to read the label.

It's a bit like text on a page, if scale is used properly it increases readability - you wouldn't have every line of text in an annual report the same size. But if every piece of text is a different size it confuses the eye, and becomes very hard to read. I think there's a sweet spot there somewhere.

But I do concede that it would be very easy to go overboard. But that's up to the user?

ok i see where u are coming from and i can see how it would be useful to sum...perhaps in 10.3 it will be an option for the last updated in a folder
  • Reply 8 of 20
    the pie manthe pie man Posts: 425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

thats only 5 file and i think it is starting to look cluttery

Where is everyone seeing the cutlery? I don't see any cutlery \
  • Reply 9 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
  • Reply 10 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by BuonRotto

Reminded me that I have to do the dishes
  • Reply 11 of 20
    Oh wait, now I think I see it :
  • Reply 12 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

Oh wait, now I think I see it :

D@mn, thats funny
  • Reply 13 of 20
    you dont see the disorganization of having different sizes starting to creep up just from that 5 different pictures?

i mean everybody sees things differently but there is a reason many things are uniform in size
  • Reply 14 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by ast3r3x

you dont see the disorganization of having different sizes starting to creep up just from that 5 different pictures?

i mean everybody sees things differently but there is a reason many things are uniform in size

I actually agree that uniform size will usually be much more organized - my desktop would be a mess if everything were of varying sizes. I totally see the cutlery now - sorry.
  • Reply 15 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

How did you do that?

It is a brain-crash hack published by ResExcellence. It allows, AFAIK, anything.

Disclaimer: I have nothing to do with the hack, nor have I ever tried to apply the hack, nor do I recommend it. Even if you don't lose the OS, you'll go crazy before you can undo the hack.
  • Reply 16 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by The Pie Man

I actually agree that uniform size will usually be much more organized - my desktop would be a mess if everything were of varying sizes. I totally see the cutlery now - sorry.

haha well i think its cluttery, perhaps if u dont it would be right for you like i said if it doesn't both you its not a problem but if u had tons of files like that it would be hell to find something
  • Reply 17 of 20
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    But the basic idea is indicative of what Tog talks about a lot: using file size/thickness to convey info, e.g., a larger file would be fatter or bigger, a more important file would appear to "pop out" farther, etc.

linky

Quote:

Apple has one new kind of folder in OS-X, the Package, which, in essence, enables an application to contain within it all the little tiny files necessary for it to run.

However, regular files appear to continue to be as weak and ineffective as ever. I should be able to tell, by looking at the outside of a file, how much material is within, how old the folder is, and how long it has been since I?ve opened it. I?m not talking about surrounding it with text; I?m talking about using that 24-bit color space to add visual attributes. For example, the more the folder contains, the thicker it should appear. The older it is, the deeper the color should become, with age cracks appearing after several years. The time since I?ve opened it could be represented by cobwebs or dustiness.

• Reply 18 of 20
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    I want the Finder to have a filter. Something less than "Search" to simple weed out the files I do/don't want to see. Use grep so the geeks will love it
  • Reply 19 of 20
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    I'd just like to be able to view files listed by date from the 'open' dialogue box again....
  • Reply 20 of 20
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

I'd just like to be able to view files listed by date from the 'open' dialogue box again....

I miss it too.