What are the ACD 23" like reliability wise?

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Has anybody had any problems?

What are they like for dead pixels etc?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Messiah

Has anybody had any problems?

What are they like for dead pixels etc?

Well. As for dead pixels. It's just a matter of your luck. Some people have perfect screens while others have tens of dead ones on theirs.

Reliabilty also varies. For Christ's sake. Buy the display from the stores that offer third-party extended warranty. If you are spending 2 grand on a display paying an extra 100 bucks for the peace of mind doesn't hurt
  • Reply 2 of 7
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    Okay, wait.

I just realize you alrady have a 20".......are you telling me that you are going to sell your 20" for the 23"

Beside the screen size the 20" just beats the 23" hands down, especially in color and sharpness
  • Reply 3 of 7
    messiahmessiah Posts: 1,689member
    Well, I may have the opportunity to return the 20" and get the 23" instead, but I'm just a little concerned over dead pixels (my 20" doesn't have any). I know that Apple used to have a zero tolerance on the Cinema Display, but that they apparently abandonded it so that they could drop the prices to the current level.

I'd hate to return the 20", and end up with a 23" with dead pixels. But I really could do with the extra screen real estate. For people out there with a 17" that are considering the 20", I think you'd be surprised if you sat the two of them together - there's actually not that much of a difference, same height, but about an extra inch each side of the screen! That's maybe an extra row of icons each side.
  • Reply 4 of 7
    thereubsterthereubster Posts: 402member
    Well, I dont know about the 20" CD, I've not used on but I have a 23" CD sitting on my desk right now (sigh, only a loan...) and it is stupendous!! I have never seen anything like it. THey are truely the Rolls-Royce of monitors, nothing else comes close. (Dont look fab in OS9 tho...)
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Thereubster

Well, I dont know about the 20" CD, I've not used on but I have a 23" CD sitting on my desk right now (sigh, only a loan...) and it is stupendous!! I have never seen anything like it. THey are truely the Rolls-Royce of monitors, nothing else comes close. (Dont look fab in OS9 tho...)

Does it have any dead or stuck pixels?

Does anybody know if Apple abandoned it's zero tolerance rule?
  • Reply 6 of 7
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    Zero Tolerance? For what, dissatisfied customers? I've never known Apple to be especially generous when it comes to dead pixels. They're certainly won't touch a display with one to three dead/stuck pixels no matter where they are, over that, if they're in the same area, you get a new panel, if not, if they're spread around the display, you're still within spec with as many as 6 dead/stuck pixels.
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by Matsu

Zero Tolerance? For what, dissatisfied customers? I've never known Apple to be especially generous when it comes to dead pixels. They're certainly won't touch a display with one to three dead/stuck pixels no matter where they are, over that, if they're in the same area, you get a new panel, if not, if they're spread around the display, you're still within spec with as many as 6 dead/stuck pixels.

I believe they used to have a no dead pixel policy on the original Cinema Display, and the HD display when it was "full price". I've also heard that it was abandoning this policy that allowed them to drop the price of HD display to it's current level...