Fan Fix for Mirrored drive dualies

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
Hey guys and gals,

I just received in the mail the hardware fix for the screamingly loud fan in the mirrored drive dualie.

It took me about an hour to do the installation (I had competency issues, and a cat crawling around the room making me paranoid about static electricity).

The fan/power supply replacement is awesome! Much quieter than the original. Well worth the $20 fix!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    jasonfjjasonfj Posts: 567member
    Which MDD model is that? I have the dual 1.42 and though the fan isn't always loud, it regularly makes a knocking or low rattling sound which gets very annoying.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    The power supply replacement is only for the 1st gen MDD PowerMacs, so you'd be out of luck with your 2nd gen MDD PowerMac.

Though its possible that you could call Apple and complain and see about getting your power supply replaced under warrenty, though (but it'd probably not work).
  • Reply 3 of 5
    a@rona@ron Posts: 201member
    Quote:

Originally posted by jasonfj

Which MDD model is that? I have the dual 1.42 and though the fan isn't always loud, it regularly makes a knocking or low rattling sound which gets very annoying.

The noise you describe is a sort of 'diseling' noise that many have reported on g4noise.com. There is hope, call apple and if you can get them to hear it on the phone they may send you out a new fan that is manufactured by Pabst and not Delta. If they wont send it out upon hearing it then take it to an apple store or service dealer and they can get the part to you and completely under warrenty. I hope this helps, I however am waiting for the verax (sp?) kit.

A@ron
  • Reply 4 of 5
    augustwestaugustwest Posts: 157member
    Yes, I have the first gen MDD, and would encourage any with future models to complain, since apple obviously listened the last time around!
  • Reply 5 of 5
    i swapped out the power supply of me duall 867, and quite frankly im considering putting the old one back. Although the old one sounded like a hoover, my hard drives didnt clink and when in sleep mode the supply switched off completely. With the new one its still noisy, doesnt switch off in sleep mode and as i mentioned hard drives(4 of them) aswell as the cdrom take longer to get going and everynow and again will clink.

just my luck that ive probably got a faulty replacement.