Some Star Trek Enterprise rantings...

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Is it just my misconception of ST timelines and such, but haven't there been more than a few inconsistencies introduced by the Enterprise series? What's this about the Borg??? I thought humans had no clue they even existed until STNG. ...and Klingons? I thought there was an episode in TOS where they note that they had never before seen a Klingon until just then on their viewer screen, ship-to-ship? So what's with all this Klingon exposure in Eneterprise? ...and the Vulcan's? They always say they cannot lie, but T'Pau does it a few times already. The first time she did it, I thought the show was simply conveying that "not being able to lie" was more about a conscious choice to not lie than really being incapable of the act. Now that she has done it a few times, it seems like an awfully fallible gesture to even bother noting that "Vulcan cannot lie".

Oh well, any thoughts from you guys?

(I'm not trying to bash Enterprise series, though. I do find it entertaining. I just don't know if the producers are getting sloppy with the mythology, or I just don't have the full picture of when/what things really do happen)

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    I am so confused! And I've watched just about every STNG episode so I don't understand your questions. Are you just discovering Next Generation?

Warf has been on STNG since the first episode.

I thought the whole "Vulcans can't lie" was proven myth in the original series. Oh yeah, but Spock did comment that he was half human.

Episode numbers, something specific.
  • Reply 2 of 47
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Fangorn

I am so confused! And I've watched just about every STNG episode so I don't understand your questions. Are you just discovering Next Generation?

He's not talking about TNG, he's talking about the crapshoot that's called...

And, yes, there are a billion buggy timetime inconsistencies in the show like that. Gahr. I blame sloppy writers and producers.
  • Reply 3 of 47
    fangornfangorn Posts: 323member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

He's not talking about TNG, he's talking about the crapshoot that's called...

OOOOOOOOOh!

Forget what I said before. I've never seen it.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    First off, the latest Enterprise episode is in my VCR where it will sit until my homework is done. But Borg? Every treckie knows that Q introduced the Enterprise ("D" - I think) to the borg. Must I remind people about Wolf 359?

I hope you are wrong. \
  • Reply 5 of 47
    alex_kacalex_kac Posts: 58member
    Enterprise, I think, is actually a very good show. It has its issues...but its only in its second season. I frankly though TNG was horrible until its 3rd season. I got so tired of Picard and his stiffness - as well as everyone else. Of course, now I'm tired of Picard trying to be James T. Kirk and failing miserably.

As for the Borg, I just think its more like Q may have introduced the TNG people to the Borg, but here it is an isolated incident and we're getting a sneap peak at it.
  • Reply 6 of 47
    Right.

In TNG's "Q Who", Q flung the Enterprise D off into the delta quadrant, prematurely introducing them to the borg. It was from that encounter that the borg then knew to move towards the alpha quadant for more, uh, "resources".

At the end, Guinan says to Picard something along the lines of "and now they know we exist and they'll be coming." Picard, on the other hand, was partly grateful to Q for showing him that they were indeed arrogant and not ready for everything out there.

Oh god, I'm such a geek.
  • Reply 7 of 47
    casecomcasecom Posts: 314member
    Quote:

Originally posted by alex_kac

I frankly thought TNG was horrible until its 3rd season.

Actually that's pretty much the consensus opinion among Trek fans. When you turn on a show and you see collarless uniforms, you know you're in for bad times. And Diana Muldaur in place of Gates McFadden in Season 2 ... <shudder>

As for "Enterprise" ... meh. I find it mildly entertaining. I hope it finds its stride.
  • Reply 8 of 47
    Yeah, TNG early seasons were pretty lame. Q Who and a small handful of others were pretty good, though.

Oh, now, how could I forget? In Shatner's novel "The Return" (which is actually written as a followup to the movie Generations),

oh, btw, this is a spoiler if you haven't read that book.

Okay, where was I? Oh yes. In "The Return", the origins of the borg date back to before the time of "Star Trek: The Motion Picture" and VGER. In short, Spock gets taken into the collective to be assimilated but isn't because he's already a part of the collective. How? The mind meld with VGER. The race of machines that VGER encountered was very likely the precursor to what became the borg.

Are the Enterprise writers going to feed off of something like this?

That's enough Trek for me for one night.

It's a good book, by the way. It could have made a much better borg move than First Contact, IMHO.
  • Reply 9 of 47
    powerdocpowerdoc Posts: 8,123member
    Q is a joke, Q episodes looks like more the original Star trek series : a Kitch movie

Q is a god with the mentality of a 7 years old kid : non sense. However it's fun.
  • Reply 10 of 47
    bartobarto Posts: 2,246member
    Also, Guinan's Race had their home planet destroyed by the borg, and there were rumors of an evil, Microsoft-like species in the delta quadrant prior to Q's giant slingshot. This is stuff I can remember from Star Trek.

Look, Star Trek is just a TV show. There is so much ST that some of it is good, but most is crappy. There is a goofs everywhere. It's unavoidable, the fact that trekkies would like their beloved show (get a life!) to be "real" doesn't make a difference either.

Barto
  • Reply 11 of 47
    Quote:

Originally posted by Brad

It's a good book, by the way. It could have made a much better borg move than First Contact, IMHO.

That's saying a lot. I consider First Contact one of the best Trek movies.
  • Reply 12 of 47
    ebbyebby Posts: 3,110member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Barto

Look, Star Trek is just a TV show.

BLASPHEMY!

Oh, the cruel, inhumaine blasphemy!

BURN! BURN! BURN!

• Reply 13 of 47
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    They always say they cannot lie, but T'Pau does it a few times already. The first time she did it, I thought the show was simply conveying that "not being able to lie" was more about a conscious choice to not lie than really being incapable of the act. Now that she has done it a few times, it seems like an awfully fallible gesture to even bother noting that "Vulcan cannot lie".

Here is a picture of T'Pau as an old Ambassador in the yet to be time of James T Kirk

• Reply 14 of 47
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,015member
    Well, they explained the Borg thing last night. Try watching the epsisode. They said that the fictional Z. Cochran ranted about the Borg after his warp flight, but no one believed him. In the movie, the Borg went back in time to BEFORE Enterprise's beginnings...about 100 years before.

That being said, since they encountered them in the new timeline, there would have had to be at least a passing knowledge of the species by TNG. They did mention at the end of the episode that they simply "put off the problem another 200 years". I can deal with that. But, enough with the Borg already....that cow has been milked to death.

BTW, T'Pau is a hottie.
  • Reply 15 of 47
    You mean people actually watch these shows?

Man... and I thought having Satellite was supposed to bring quality programming.

For me? Iron Chef and Junkyard Wars. (nothing else)
  • Reply 16 of 47
    jimmacjimmac Posts: 11,898member
    And yes it was a really good episode! I really groaned when I heard they were going to do a Borg episode but they did a really good job!
  • Reply 17 of 47
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    The Borg they encountered this week frozen in the Arctic were remnants of the Sphere that Picard et al took on in First Contact.

Which begs the question: Was Picard so sloppy as a Captain to leave 24th century Borg behind to be thawed by 22nd-century Earth?

Of course, the fact that 22nd-century Archer was able to defeat 24th-century Borg in the first place is impressive. That man deserves a promotion...

(And just to clear up the timeline thing, it's entirely possible that the signal sent to the 24th century Borg arrives just AFTER Q throws Picard and crew to the Delta Quadrant.)

I know how you feel Brad, is there a geek-support group I can join?
  • Reply 18 of 47
    Okay, class... repeat after me:

1. Rick Berman is the Devil (and Brannon Braga is his evil assistant).

Since Berman and Braga have taken the reins of the Trek universe, it has completely gone down the toilet. To wit:

Nemesis was crap.

Insurrection was crap.

Generations was crap.

Enterprise is crap.

Voyager was crap.

DS9 was crap until Ira Steven Behr took control, and then it was generally only good when it copied Babylon 5 storylines.

Next Gen turned to crap in its last two seasons.

The only good things that happened under Berman and Braga's watch were the Next Gen finale and First Contact. Hey, everyone gets lucky once in a while.

Gene Roddenberry may have taken credit for work other people did, but when he was in charge, the show had focus. Despite the dinky sets and costumes, Classic Trek is still emotionally and intellectually engaging. The first two seasons of Next Gen, while admittedly weaker than seasons three and four (when Michael Piller ran things), have some really superb episodes in them. And the Animated Series is woefully underrated. People forget that a number of established SF writers also worked on that series.

Okay class, repeat after me:

2. Rick Berman and Brannon Braga promise one thing about each Trek series, then deliver another.

They promised that DS9 was supposed to be something new in the Trek universe, featuring a solitary station and all new aliens and conflicts. Then, when their minds couldn't come up with anything compelling, they fell back on the familiar by adding the Defiant so Sisko would have a ship to fly around in, and added Worf to the cast. Oh, and Q showed up a number of times, along with the Borg, Riker, and even some old Klingons from Classic Trek. Yeah, real new.

They promised that because Voyager would be located in a section of space far removed from the Federation, the series would feature all new aliens and conflicts. Then, when their minds couldn't come up with anything compelling, they fell back on the familiar by sending Voyager to Earth for a couple of episodes, and had numerous other episodes featuring the Borg, the Borg Queen, the Romulans, Q, and both Troi and Barclay from Next Gen. Yeah, real new.

They promised that because Enterprise took place many years earlier than even Classic Trek, the series would feature all new aliens and conflicts. Then, when their minds couldn't come up with anything compelling, they fell back on the familiar by adding the Borg. They promise the entire premise of the series will change starting next season. Perhaps that means Q will show up. Yeah, real new.

Considering that both Insurrection and Nemesis tanked at the box office and that Enterprise has slid to the bottom of the ratings (much like Voyager's did), how do these guys keep their jobs? They must have incriminating photos of Paramount personnel locked up somewhere.
  • Reply 19 of 47
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    I can put up with a few inconsistencies in the time line...

...as long as she's in that time line.
  • Reply 20 of 47
    709709 Posts: 2,016member
    Quote:

Originally posted by SDW2001

BTW, T'Pau is a hottie.

Yes, yes and more yes. Yum. (and it's T'Pol BTW)