Quick iMovie/iPhoto Question

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Geting ready to attempt my first iPhoto slide-show type of project. Will actually be doing it within iMovie as I also have a couple of video clips to incorporate as well.

Before I begin scanning all of the photos, I wanted to ask a quick question so that I don't "scan all of the photos incorrectly".

What DPI should I use to scan the photos and what size (I assume measuring pixels by pixels) should I make the photos when I scan them in? I just do not want to make the phtos too large or to small to begin with and then have trouble manipulating them all later in iMovie/iPhoto. By the way, I will be burning the project to DVD and to tape to be viewed on "regular" 27-inch or so diagonal televisions.

Also, would appreciate any other tips or suggestions you might have for a first time iPhoto user so I have more success right off the bat. (I already have used iMovie 3 for a couple of other smaller video projects and have been very pleased with the results.)

Thanks!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    rbfoyerbfoye Posts: 77member
    It is always best to scan in at higher resolutions because when you crop photos and use the Ken Burns effect in I-movie then it does not look great if original photo is low resolution.

Later if you use the same photos for web pages and therefore want smaller files, you can use i-photo to export them out at lower resolutions and then bring them back into i-photo. remember - you can always decrease the resolution through exporting/importing, but you can only increase resolution by re-scanning.

So I would recommend 600 dpi. If your machine is older and slower, than you can manage in 300dpi.

If burning on DVD, i-photo is very quick, etc, but the photos are stills and all same length. If using i-movie, you can crop/enhance etc. in i-photo first and then use Ken Burn effect in and out, depending on photo and different lengths of time for each photo. So i-movie takes much more time, but end result is mich better and much more interesting. Plus you can do titles, etc at beginning and end.

Hope this helps.
  • Reply 2 of 4
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Just one thing I found doing a lot of stills in iMovie 2 was that iMovie does a rubbish job of resizing the pics. Using iPhoto to export them first at a scaled 768x576 (PAL) before importing them into iMovie resulted in much sharper looking photos.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    Can I ask a question too? If I have a picture, lets just say a jpg which I want to scroll on the screen in iMovie (like with a title) how do I do it? Thx for your help.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    proxyproxy Posts: 232member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Not Unlike Myself

Can I ask a question too? If I have a picture, lets just say a jpg which I want to scroll on the screen in iMovie (like with a title) how do I do it? Thx for your help.

Try using either the Ken Burns effect in iMovie3 or Still life which is more sophisticated but costs $24.99 to remove the watermark.