Trying to learn Maya and Final Cut

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I'm trying to learn Maya and Final Cut so that I can finally get out of this PC world and into the Mac World...

I'm learning Final Cut (Express) pretty quick and have used it to create a couple of things but Maya is taking some time since I'm using the PLE edition b/c what individual in their right minds would get the $6000 full version on their own? Ha....

Anyway, if you asked me what my dream job was i would say "Dude, I want a job where I could use Final Cut and Maya to make cool movies and make a ton of money as well!!"

Then it wouldn't be a job anymore. Would it?

So how could i go about learning Maya as well as applying it to something so that eventually I could use it in a real job?

Any suggestions and advise would make this so much easier!!!

Thanks!!!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Well, learning Maya.... get a good book, maybe take some classes at an art school. It's going to take a lot of time and patience. Have you had any drafting experience? Thinking in 3D doesn't come easy to most people... part of the learning curve.

Ask yourself what it is you want to do professionally. Do you want to do broadcast television? Do you want to do film? And then when you decide that, there is a whole host of other questions you want to ask, and things you're going to want to do in an effort to build yourself a respectable reel to show to people and maybe get an internship, which may lead to a job down the road.

Here is the problem with the 3D world... it's saturated and competitive. You're definitely going to want to intern anywhere and everywhere you can. Work with the tools constantly, do your own stuff, come up with fictitious spots just to develop *something* to show to people. If it is something you want to do, you have to do it every single day. No excuses, no regrets. That's the only way you're going to be any good at it, and unfortunately, it's also one of the only ways to be valuable in that market in particular.

The other problem is a lot of post houses use their own custom written software for these projects, and they want people that know that software. How do you learn it? You intern with them. They probably won't pay you. It's a brutal industry, it really is.

Do it every day. Get the books, participate in messageboards, go to user group meetings, read the trade magazines. Stay on top of it, and get experience anywhere and anyway that you can.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask...
  • Reply 2 of 7
    boba fettboba fett Posts: 56member
    Fist off... just wanted to say that Maya complete is 2000 bucks and not 6000. Anyway, I am an avid Final Cut and Maya user. I worked at Alias|Wavefront for 5 years where I created several of their learning books and DVDs. My advise to you is don't learn Maya or Final cut - instead learn 3d and good editing. Don't be a slave to the software. What is it about 3d or editing that excites you? Don't do 3D for the sake of it. There are plenty of 3D animators out there you work on big productions who become sick to there stomach after a while. Software and Hardware have become so affordable that you can make your own stories. Just make sure they're compelling - then go out and buy maya and FCP to make those dreams come true. Not the other way around.

My 2 cents.

Bob Gundu

http://homepage.mac.com/bgundu
  • Reply 3 of 7
    o-maco-mac Posts: 777member
    Thanks Bob!

That's the kind of advise I was looking for...

So where can I go to find more information on 3D animation?

I think the idea of creating something that people would enjoy watching is what I motivates me. Kind of like Speilberg or George Lucas...
  • Reply 4 of 7
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Newsgroups, user groups, internships, books. Study, study, study.

Bob does make a good point in insisting that you study 3d animation and video editing as opposed to a specific tool... you are going to have to pick a tool right now though. If you think you will feel comfortable in Maya, grab a book on that. Personally, I'm a LightWave fan.

Final Cut is a good non-linear editor to learn on, and if you learn to cut on one of those, moving to a different system won't be too difficult.

Remember, the tools do not make the artist.
  • Reply 5 of 7
    Yeah, it's the skills that i'm looking build on.

Now, here's the next question. How do I go about finding the kind of job that will utilize these skills i'm trying to develop?

I like doing this stuff for fun and if I could find away to evolve this into my "day job" then i think I could be on my way to that so-called "dream career"...
  • Reply 6 of 7
    Hey M3dJack and bob a fett!

Here are some more questions...

What do you like the most about your line of work?

What do you like the least about your line of work?

How did you get into that line of work?
  • Reply 7 of 7
    Quote:

Originally posted by O-Mac

Thanks Bob!

That's the kind of advise I was looking for...

So where can I go to find more information on 3D animation?

I think the idea of creating something that people would enjoy watching is what I motivates me. Kind of like Speilberg or George Lucas...

I can't help but suggest some books I've helped write:

- Learning Maya | Beginners Guide (DVD)

- The Art of Maya

- Learning maya | Foundation

- Watch for a new novice series of DVDs coming soon!

These can be purchased from www.aliaswavefront.com

Also check these sites for inspiration:

www.cgchannel.com

www.3dfestival.com

www.cgtalk.com

Bob