Dual 867 vs 1 Gig PM ?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I am in the market for a Power Mac, and I wanted to know if the collective forum thinks that a dual 867 would be better than a (single) 1 ghz model.

A big advantage of the 1 ghz model is that it would come with a warranty.

I want to do audio recording with this mac, so if the dual processors would be louder than a single, well.... then it's an easy decision. Does anyone know if dual processors are noticably louder?

Also, does the dual 867 run OS 9? I don't seem to remember when they "cut it off", but a lot of audio programs that I already own only run when booted from OS 9, so a dual-boot would be nice (until I can afford to buy OS X versions of everything).

Anyway, please let me know what you think.... (or if you know of a good place to get a dual 867 if that is the verdict).

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    lucaluca Posts: 3,833member
    1. If you get a dual 867, you might have to do the power supply exchange. At least Apple is offering it, but I think the new MDD PowerMacs are already fixed.

2. The dual 867 will be significantly faster for dualie-optimized applications, and the single GHz will be slightly faster for non-dualie-optimized applications. Depends on which apps you're running, but I'd personally go for the dualie if I were you. OS X itself is dual-optimized so that in itself will help. It'll also free up the entire processor for work while the other handles background processes - a single processor will have to handle everything that's going on.

3. The dual 867 will boot into OS 9, the single GHz will not (although Classic Mode is still supported).
  • Reply 2 of 5
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Just recouping what Luca said: the dual 867 have had the distinct reputation of being extremely loud. I don't own one myself, but I have read many reports here and elsewhere that the first generation of the mirrored drive doors sound like a plane leaving. Supposedly, Apple's exchange program mentioned above should have made this better. So, if you can change it, you might wanna go for the dual. Of course, warranty IS a deal-maker/breaker. I would refrain from buying out-of-warranty hardware IF you have another choice.

As far as I remember, the dual 867 was announced in august 2002, and as such, should have no problems booting into OS 9.

What are the prices?
  • Reply 3 of 5
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    At this point I wouldn't touch either unless they came with STEEP DISCOUNTS. Not likely, the resale mac market being what it is. WAIT for 970.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    low-filow-fi Posts: 357member
    Dualie. The power-supply that apple sent me makes the machine very very quiet.

But personally, I'd wait til the 970s. Though you may be left with the initial rev 1 bugs that aways seems to appear with apple products.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    drumbug1drumbug1 Posts: 155member
    Quote:

Originally posted by low-fi

Dualie. The power-supply that apple sent me makes the machine very very quiet.

But personally, I'd wait til the 970s. Though you may be left with the initial rev 1 bugs that aways seems to appear with apple products.

I've thought about this. I think that the power mac's (as they are right now) are pretty much bug-free. This is very important to me because I probably won't replace it for at least 4 years. I would really hate to get a 970 and then have to live with possible bugs for that entire length of time.

So far the consensus is that I should look into the dual 867. Does anyone know of a good place to find this machine?