"Year of the Portable" defined!

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware edited January 2014
In January, Steve proclaimed 2003 is Apple's "Year of the Portable" and proceeded to introduce the delectable 12" and 17" portables, but is that enough for year of the portable?

Let's hope not.

How about portables which benchmark as fast as Intel's finest? Perhaps the year of the portable will culminate in IBM 970 portables benchmarking against Intel towers. I think Steve would relish the opportunity to pit "mere" portables against Wintel towers, beating them in imitable Steve benchmark fashion, and then rolling out Apple PowerMacs which run more than twice (dual processor) as fast as the portables.

That would make for a nice "Year of the Portable" and then some.

Yummy?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 18
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
  • Reply 2 of 18
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    maybe he meant "fiscal year of the portable"

that way when the new towers ship in fall, it will be a new year. (depending on how they do their books)
  • Reply 3 of 18
    Why did you create this thread...?
  • Reply 4 of 18
    bigcbigc Posts: 1,224member
    Why do people continually want to beat "Intel". Who cares what Intel does. Especially in a powerbook. If you want a powerful machine get a desktop then argue Intel/Apple sh!t ad-infinitum, as has already been done 40 gazillion times (or is that 50).
  • Reply 5 of 18
    occamoccam Posts: 54member
    Thain:

I created the thread to share my brainstorm that "Year of the Portable" could be well defined by Steve demoing PowerBook's which beat (or compare favorably) with Wintel towers. I used the work "benchmark" to define the comparison since, if they're performance comparable, I'm sure Steve can choose benchmarks which show that they blow away Wintel boxes (in certain cases). Steve would have a field day with that, and that would definitely successfully define "Year of the Portable". I also wanted to see if anyone else had any insights to add.

Other than Alcimedes "fiscal year of the portable" meta comment, I haven't seen anything (unfortunately).

Bigc, pragmatically, I agree with you. However, think of the post more as a foreshadowing brainstorm of a really cool Keynote by Steve to introduce 970 based PowerBook portables. How would Steve do it? He would show how even the Apple portables kick the best Wintel has to offer... and then introduces the Apple towers as twice as fast as the speedy portables. The Wintel issue is part and parcel of Steve's typical keynote whoopa** to boost Apple's underdog market share and get the word out that Apple (would then) have no compromise computing systems (i.e., full package of hardware, OS, and essential software (MS Office, and all Unix/Linux)). Can you blame him? :-)
  • Reply 6 of 18
    mrmistermrmister Posts: 1,095member
    He called it the Year of the Portable because it was good marketing in January--the beginning of the year. It doesn't mean jack sh!t...there could be PPC970 powerbooks coming sooner than we think, but I don't think some marketing term is the clue.
  • Reply 7 of 18
    frykefryke Posts: 217member
    I've never heard Steve Jobs come on stage and say: "Okay, we have a lame PowerBook upgrade." Calling the year the 'year of the portable' meant several things. I'm sure you're aware of this, but maybe you're not. I'll repeat it anyway: Inside of Apple, there is _more_ information about the next products and the products that come after them. And if Steve has the feeling that the PowerBooks will be the products of this year, then so be it. Your guess that this has anything to do with comparing favourably with Wintel's offerings is just that: A guess. I personally don't think that Steve argues like that. We'll certainly see another upgrade to the PowerBook and iBook lines this year, and almost certainly Steve Jobs will not say they're lame. Thus: Year of the PowerBook. Marketing speek.
  • Reply 8 of 18
    screedscreed Posts: 1,077member
    This proclamation backfired a bit here on AI, because we started to wring our collective hands and say, "Oh god! That means no 970 until the next MWSF!!!"

Heh. Wankers, all of us.

Screed
  • Reply 9 of 18
    matsumatsu Posts: 6,558member
    It is the year of the portable: Centrino is some impressive stuff. Apple will have to respond with better battery life and bettery pro and consumer laptop prices. Mobile PPC power is still fine next to mobile X86.
  • Reply 10 of 18
    macgregormacgregor Posts: 1,434member
    Hey Matsu, what is so great about Centrino? I've heard the marketing and the ads that describe little that is innovative and I've read reviews that are some positive, some negative. What is the "bar" that Apple must now jump over?
  • Reply 11 of 18
    nonsuchnonsuch Posts: 293member
    Quote:

Originally posted by T'hain Esh Kelch

Why did you create this thread...?

People are nervous that "Year of the Laptop" means no PPC 970 in the desktops this year, so they're trying to convince themselves otherwise. Simple, really.
  • Reply 12 of 18
    soulcrushersoulcrusher Posts: 587member
    Wasn't it "The Year of the Notebook"?
  • Reply 13 of 18
    yomofoyomofo Posts: 35member
    "The year of the portable" was pure marketing.

If you watched the keynote, this quote came after SJ compared Apple's powerbook and powermac sales, and said the powerbook sales were way up in comparison to the year before.

If you knew what was really going on, though, portable sales were "way up" percentage-wise because they were compared relative to the powermac, which was (as we all know) "way down". SJ was trying to justify that more people prefer powerbooks because they're better (portable, fast enough, etc.) than powermacs. In truth, they are better than powermacs because portables are still worth their money when compared to powermacs in today's market.

SJ was trying to say with marketing that "who likes desktop machines anyway, when these portables are so super sexy", in an attempt to pacify those dying to get their hands on a competitive tower.

this was my reading, anyway.
  • Reply 14 of 18
    kidredkidred Posts: 2,402member
    It was not pure marketing, it is/was pure sales. Notebook sales for Apple are nearly half of all sales. And as I stated in the other notebook thread, Toshiba's notebooks are outselling Gateway, HP and a few other retailer's desktops. IDG stated after this past quarter that this thread means that 'this is the year of the notebook' based on sales of notebooks compared to desktops.

Steve just saw it coming months ago.
  • Reply 15 of 18
    taztaz Posts: 74member
    I agree with McGregor? What is so innovative about Centrino. They have finally caught up to Powerbook battery times and with the otional spare battery they can surpass the Powerbook. Well, so what. Built in 802.11b. Whoopty doo. Powerbooks have has internal 802.11b for atleast 3 years now if not longer. Built in Bluetooth. Who cares. Powerbooks also have this. The only place where they beat Powerbooks is the clock speed. Again, who really cares all that much about clock speed in a notebook. I have a 400 TiBk and it still functions more than adequetly. As of now NO centrino machine has OSX which in my mind kicks royal butt. Heck I'll stick to my 400 Tibk in favor a new fancy schamcy 20 gazillion gigaherts wintel machine any day of the week.
  • Reply 16 of 18
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by yomofo

If you knew what was really going on, though, portable sales were "way up" percentage-wise because they were compared relative to the powermac, which was (as we all know) "way down".

That's true, but it's also true that 'Book sales have spiked up in real terms. I remember mention of a 74% increase in PB sales from Apple's last quarterly report.

I think it represents the simple fact that notebooks - Mac and PC alike - have crossed a threshold that had previously relegated them to a "second computer" niche, and a pricey one. They now have the features and prices to appeal to people as primary machines, and their sales figures reflect that.

Really, the idea that you have to get something as immobile and cumbersome as a tower + monitor in order to check email, chat, surf the web, fire up a word processor every so often, and play the odd Sims game is absurd. A notebook is much more obviously suited to the task.

I think that Steve sees notebooks claiming 50% of the market despite the planned innovations for the towers, simply because the notebooks have more of what a majority of Apple's customers are looking for in a computer. You don't need a 970 to run Quark, or InDesign, or Illustrator, or Project Builder/Interface Builder, or...
  • Reply 17 of 18
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    Quote:

You don't need a 970 to run Quark, or InDesign, or Illustrator, or Project Builder/Interface Builder, or...

the heck with you ....i need a 970 even if i just plan to play pong with it in black and white mode.....i NEED a 970 (which can be shortened down to...i NEED)

gimme gimme

g
  • Reply 18 of 18
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    i am with thegelding not because of pong but because everytime i bought a new mac it was a massive leap forward (for me that is, not mankind) so this year (yes, before christmas because that will save me 10 euro) a powerbook 15" with a ppc 970 would be so sweet