Standing up for America. Wow....

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have always had a notion that for what ever reasons many in the world love to hate America. Be it the wealth and power or whatever. It seems some in high places see the same picture in this regard. I respect the world community and have no hard feelings towards any country. Sure we all have differences but that is just how reality is and always has been. I think it is important to restore relationships and not lean on politics of division. United the world can solve problems and divided we will trip over numerous additional problems at no benefit to any.

BBC story over this topic:

BBC Link

Fellowship edit... please forgive me this thread was for Apple Outsider.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 64
    sapisapi Posts: 207member
    you're not a .....Genius..
  • Reply 2 of 64
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    And on the third post, M3D Jack moved this thread to AO...
  • Reply 3 of 64
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    I've got a new signature...
  • Reply 4 of 64
    aquafireaquafire Posts: 2,758member
    Blame the French Viola !....

It truly all comes from France.

( The USSR * & Chinese don't hate the USA , they just want to out muscle it )

Anything that is illogical such as hating the USA can be traced back to French arrogance; since WW 11 the French have never taken kindly to Americans " meddling " in what they considered French colonial spheres of influence..

Re Africa, the Middle East or Far East...

America's crime....trying to convince the French to leave their european colonial mentality behind....

Nor have the French ever forgiven America for saving their asses from invading " Huns" : re WW1 & WW2.

They'd rather prefer the fiction that the French resistance took on the might of the Germans & defeated in true gallic style..total bullshit of course.

& finally, the Left-wing darlings of the failed 1960's Paris uprisings, have never come to terms with American Capitalistic Power & Might.....

Its just too much for the frogs to bear, like a flickering candle in the face of a brilliant sun, the only thing that has been left to them is hate...

So, if its any consolation, you can only get "stabbed in the back" if your actually ahead of the pack that hates you...

PS * I'd keep my eye on Russia's president Putin...He wants to revive an old model of Imperialist Russia.....

Oh Oh... I can hear Anders winding up his magic wand
  • Reply 5 of 64
    agent302agent302 Posts: 974member
    That article is dumb. And it's not true at all.

Anti-americanism is a to-be-expected feature of a unipolar world. It's just a power balancing effect. People should read stuff written by the guy in New's signature.
  • Reply 6 of 64
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

Anti-americanism is a to-be-expected feature of a unipolar world. It's just a power balancing effect. People should read stuff written by the guy in New's signature.

Yeah but your signature says it all.
  • Reply 7 of 64
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Quote:

Originally posted by agent302

You tell us this BBC article is not true and then tell us to read the person in New's sig

I find there to be plenty of thoughtless knee jerk anti-americanism in this world. Everything in this world is boiled down to American action or inaction. So IMO what the ****? Do whatever we want. Either way "world opinion" is the same.

Don't be so hard on the French though. They are just parroting what's in their government contorled media.
  • Reply 8 of 64
    ast3r3xast3r3x Posts: 5,012member
    what a european pro-america article?!

wowzers!

they can disagree, thats fine, but we can dislike them for it

i dont have any hard feelings, u are just made to think that u see on tv...wheather it be france propaganda or US, its all the same (well the same in opposite views of course)
  • Reply 9 of 64
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Scott

Do whatever we want.

But when they do whatever they want people from the U.S. cry like little babies.
  • Reply 10 of 64
    gargar Posts: 1,201member
    Quote:

You tell us this BBC article is not true and then tell us to read the person in New's sig

i love New's sig, though

Quote:

I find there to be plenty of thoughtless knee jerk anti-americanism in this world. Everything in this world is boiled down to American action or inaction. So IMO what the ****? Do whatever we want. Either way "world opinion" is the same.

well in the netherlands we say: "hoge bomen vangen veel wind"

and "doe maar gewoon dan doe je al gek genoeg"

roughly translated in: "high trees catch a lot of wind" and "just act normal than you act stupid enough" or something like that very calvinistic, i know

Quote:

Don't be so hard on the French though. They are just parroting what's in their government contorled media.

no, they are just cocky.
  • Reply 11 of 64
    Only Scott can complain about 'knee-jerk' opinions and then, in the same breath, write:

Quote:

Government controlled (er, contorled, I mean) media in France, folks!

Scott_h_PhD. Beyond parody since 2001.
  • Reply 12 of 64
    liquidrliquidr Posts: 884member
    America and The World, damn Fellows you don't like the easy questions do you, fine, it's your hairline

but what do I think, America the great capitalist empire, we have 4 branches of government(Legislative, Judicial, Executive, and Corporate) Together, these branches of government have harnessed the power of a many varied people, I dare say perhaps the most diverse population in the world, such an intermingling of cultures, it ignites passions and minds, we have accomplished much, not all of it moral or ethical, we've done a s**t load, we americans on the whole have it pretty good

the world???, I don't think anyone has mixed feelings about the US, they either respect us or resent us, understandable on both fronts, like I said we've done both good and bad in this world, but what country hasn't, it's just that being the most powerful country we have greatest potential for doing really bad (easy to do) or really great (very hard to do) , the respect our nation gets we should not take for granted, the resentment we get is well deserved

as for me I love America, I've loved America since I was small brown child in Korea,

God bless America, God bless the World
  • Reply 13 of 64
    If you ever read the BBC talking points section you can see some of the anti-American morons at work. Although if you ever read AppleInsider you can see both pro- and anti-Americans at work. It really is nothing unexpected. The US catches a lot of flack just for being the largest political power, an influencial global economic power, and an important purveyor of culture, regardless of what you think of US culture. And on the other hand the US does plenty of things to deserve people's enmity. Aint no thang but a chicken wang.
  • Reply 14 of 64
    Why is it always "anti-american"? Why is it never "views different than mine in a shared discussion"?
  • Reply 15 of 64
    The thing is that when "views different than mine in a shared discussion" are expressed than no one would bother to label it. When someone says something anti-American or anti-French or what have you then you see their speech labeled as prejudice in response. No one bothers to label what is simply a dissenting opinion if it is devoid of such rhetoric. Well not no one, certainly there are some elements who will overreact and call a club a spade just cause they are idiots like that. You're smart enough to figure out which is which. Unless you are using certain bigoted stereotypes and don't even realize it.
  • Reply 16 of 64
    groveratgroverat Posts: 10,872member
    Quote:

Originally posted by New

I've got a new signature...

The best thing about the signature is that it applies mainly to Yurrup!

How Yurrupeans love to forget their colonial past and how it has created the vast majority of the problems we have today with these "developing" and "terrorist" nations.

"What!? SHUT UP! IT'S ALL AMERICA'S FAULT!"
  • Reply 17 of 64
    giantgiant Posts: 6,041member
    I think intelligent folks recognize that the reason the US gets blamed is because most americans haven't learned from europe's mistakes.
  • Reply 18 of 64
    outsideroutsider Posts: 6,008member
    Quote:

Originally posted by giant

I think intelligent folks recognize that the reason the US gets blamed is because most americans haven't learned from europe's mistakes.

And their still making mistakes for us to learn from. How thoughtful!
  • Reply 19 of 64
    newnew Posts: 3,244member
    Quote:

Originally posted by groverat

The best thing about the signature is that it applies mainly to Yurrup!

How Yurrupeans love to forget their colonial past and how it has created the vast majority of the problems we have today with these "developing" and "terrorist" nations.

"What!? SHUT UP! IT'S ALL AMERICA'S FAULT!"

I tend to agree with you. The colonialy history of Europe is very much the reason for many of the problems of the world today. American Imperialism and so-called free-trade is the natural continuation of this horrible history.

As for my country, it has no colonial past, or rather, it actually was a colony. So I think I can pretty much say what I want on the matter.
  • Reply 20 of 64
    curiousuburbcuriousuburb Posts: 3,325member
    AO grain of salt required.

*bridges concepts delicately, unsure if the contrast will bear weight*

outraged poster: hey, i'm being called names.

other posters: that's too bad. what kind of names? are they accurate?

outraged poster: arrogant gets waved around a lot by pompous little wannabes, some monkeys call me ape and i'm insulted by the lower animal comparison, immature poo-heads are calling ME childish, and scrawny feebs i push into place or beat some smarts into then have the gall to call me bully... and there's this annoying group of <insert epithet > people who are constantly whingeing and moaning and wringing hands about lack of sensitivity and me not being a team player when i'm only making up my own mind like i always do and reminding them with my ball its my rules... and then they complain that they get ignored - when i'm not ignoring them, it's just that i know before i even hear it that their ideas will be stupid, like always. and everyone says i generalize all the time.

other posters: uh, do you hear yourself? mirrors are good.

outraged poster: what are you implying? aren't you going to do anything about other people's perceptions of me?

other posters: uh, well, change comes from within, you know, and if you want more people to like you, try not beating them up and insulting them, or maybe tone down the arrogant attitude, or comprimise on the team thing once in a while.

outraged poster: what are you implying? that just i should let the others win some little battles even though they're not as big or strong as me? are you dumb? are you on their bastard side? your ideas are retarded. loser.

other posters: dude, we're not on any side, we're just suggesting you try the obvious things that everyone else has learned to try in social interactions large and small. honey is better than vinegar, carrot is better than stick. RTFM some would say, but we'd rather say comprimise makes better friends than conflict, and diplomacy is smarter than knee-jerk reactions. people will generally respect you more if you know the material and demonstrate wisdom in thoughtful analysis than some snap pre-judgement

* bridged concepts crash in a heap, unable to further sustain the metaphor *

sorry, was trying to see how many countries could successfully be substituted for outraged poster... US, WWII Axis powers, most European colonial powers, Greeks, Romans... started conflating them.

we know return you to the regular thread, already in progress