Two questions re: iLife

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
Okay, first:

1. I want to get iDVD 3 on my iMac. I've downloaded the latest versions of iTunes, iPhoto and iMovie and I realize that to get iDVD you have to buy the iLife suite for $49. That's fine. Does the installer on it install all four apps, or can you just choose iDVD?

2. Is iDVD really all that?

My sister just had her baby and I thought about secretly working with my Mom to gather all the various photo and video (yes digital) from this recent event, roll it all together, slap on some music, animation, etc. and present it to my sister as a "congratulations, new mommy...from your big brother" kinda gift (her birthday is in July, but I could give it to her anytime).

Would I easily (within reason) be able to do something like this? I know nothing about that sort of stuff (sound, animation, video, etc.).

Thanks.

I'll probably go to Atlanta this weekend to grab iLife because I'd like the new themes/features in iDVD 3.

[EDIT: crap, I just realized this probably belongs in Digital Hub. Sorry! Murbot, move thread at will.]

But, it DID involve a "purchase advice" component, so don't ding me TOO hard...

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    I don't know about the installer question, but Apple installlers are generally pretty intelligent. That just means that if they programs are in there original locations older versions probably won't copy over newer versions anyway.

But just so you know, the programs really are that easy. It sounds like you'll do just fine. If you have enough material, and it sounds like you do, you'll have a hard time fitting it all in.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    ghost_user_nameghost_user_name Posts: 22,667member
    Quote:

Originally posted by pscates

[EDIT: crap, I just realized this probably belongs in Digital Hub. Sorry! Murbot, move thread at will.]

BRADBOT SMASH!

*click*
  • Reply 3 of 6
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    If the Installer doesn't (I'd be a bit surprised), you can use Pacifist from CharlesSoft to extract iDVD from the installer.
  • Reply 4 of 6
    snowstersnowster Posts: 68member
    There is a custom install possibility where you can choose what to install. I actually needed this just the other day when I did a clean install on my iMac. The iLife DVD contains 'obsolete' versions of iTunes (3) and iMovie (3.0.1) and I was happy to see that I could choose only iDVD and iPhoto from the installer.

About your other question...The answer would propably be yes. If you look what Apple Marketing has to say about iDVD (http://www.apple.com/idvd/) you can see that iDVD is designed for exactly such a project you are describing. I am currently working on a DVD containing video and pictures of my own wedding. iDVD is easy to use and it works as advertised, but prepare yourself for the fact that it takes some time to make a really great DVD.

-Snowster
  • Reply 5 of 6
    snowstersnowster Posts: 68member
    Quote:

Originally posted by bunge

But just so you know, the programs really are that easy. It sounds like you'll do just fine. If you have enough material, and it sounds like you do, you'll have a hard time fitting it all in.

Well, he could produce a 'double-DVD' gift

-Snowster
  • Reply 6 of 6
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    iDVD is da bomb....i luv it...simple, elegant and PC people freak when they see what you can do with it....add chapter stops, motion menus....it is sweet...

and yes you can do a custom install from the discs sent....you have to watch for it though, it is easy to bypass....

g