GeForce FX5900 announced. New Top Dog

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
www.nvidia.com

Ati has lost it's performance crown. Yikes! This card is $500 however. Gamers sure do take in on the nose.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
    Impressive specs !

Quote:

This new GPU is manufactured in the 0.13 micron process for ultra-high clock frequencies and features the new NVIDIA® CineFX? 2.0 engine with second-generation pixel shaders; true 128-bit color precision; full speed, full floating-point precision; a 256-bit memory interface and support for the latest Microsoft® DirectX® 9.0 and OpenGL® feature sets to ensure great visual quality and mesmerizing graphics.

Graphics Core: 256-bit

Memory Interface: 256-bit

Memory Bandwidth: 27.2GB/sec

Fill Rate: 3.6 billion texels/sec.

Vertices/sec. 338 million

Memory Data Rate: 850MHz

Pixels per Clock (peak): 8

Textures per Pixel: 16*

RAMDACs: 400MHz

CineFX 2.0 Engine

The second-generation CineFX 2.0 engine powers advanced pixel and vertex shader processing and true 128-bit color precision. Delivering double the floating-point pixel shader power of the previous CIneFX engine, CineFX 2.0 produces a visible performance boost through its more efficient execution of pixel shader programs.

Intellisample HCT

Second-generation Intellisample technology delivers up to a 50-percent increase in compression efficiency for compressing color, texture, and z-data, and powers unprecedented visual quality for resolutions up to 1600 x 1280.

UltraShadow Technology

Powers the next-generation of complex, realistic shadow effects by accelerating shadow generation. Accurate shadows that effectively mimic reality without bogging down frame rates are one of the keys to more believable game environments.

• Reply 2 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    The GeForce FX looked impressive on paper, too.

The real question is, has nVIDIA managed to get rid of the absurdly loud fan and its attendant, PCI slot-hogging plastic thingy?

Sure, the JPEGs on nVIDIA's site look pretty enough. But there are no shots of the card. I'll wait for AnandTech or Tom's Hardware to put it through its paces before getting excited.
  • Reply 3 of 11
    netromacnetromac Posts: 863member
  • Reply 4 of 11
    hmurchisonhmurchison Posts: 12,425member
    Quote:

Originally posted by Amorph

The GeForce FX looked impressive on paper, too.

The real question is, has nVIDIA managed to get rid of the absurdly loud fan and its attendant, PCI slot-hogging plastic thingy?

Sure, the JPEGs on nVIDIA's site look pretty enough. But there are no shots of the card. I'll wait for AnandTech or Tom's Hardware to put it through its paces before getting excited.

Sadly no. It's still louder than an ATI 9800 and still uses up an extra PCI slot because of the size and fan. Anandtech/Tom and others are getting HAMMERED Anandtech's review is like 30 pages with some DOOM III info.

I'm not sure I'd pay $500 to run Doom Tre in it's full glory but I'll be jealous of those lucky fools that do.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    altivec_2.0altivec_2.0 Posts: 995member
    Isn't the 9800 from ati just inches behind this thing though.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Quote:

Originally posted by Altivec_2.0

Isn't the 9800 from ati just inches behind this thing though.

The FX5900 is anywhere from 5-20% faster. It's definitely a faster card. I expect Ati to respond within 4-6 months but for the launch of Doom III looks like nvidia will provide the most performance.

Hmmmm let's see.

Dual 2.5Ghz PPC 970

240GB of Drive Space

Nvidia FX5900

6x Superdrive

= Bliss.
  • Reply 7 of 11
    amorphamorph Posts: 7,112member
    Quote:

Originally posted by hmurchison

The FX5900 is anywhere from 5-20% faster. It's definitely a faster card. I expect Ati to respond within 4-6 months but for the launch of Doom III looks like nvidia will provide the most performance.

Hmmmm let's see.

Dual 2.5Ghz PPC 970

240GB of Drive Space

Nvidia FX5900

6x Superdrive

Great big headphones to shut out the noise

Quote:

= Bliss.

I'm not in the market anyway, but I'll be interested to see if ATi is capable of responding without bloating their hardware in the same way. They did pick up a team of disgruntled nVIDIA engineers not so long ago.

If ATi can stay neck and neck, while offering a quieter, cheaper, cooler solution, nVIDIA might find themselves in 3dfx's predicament. (However, I expect nVIDIA to change course and recover, unlike 3dfx).
  • Reply 8 of 11
    Yeah the "CodeMafia" left nvidia for ATI.

The undertone of one of the engineers was that Nvidia was becoming VERY arrogant. I think they got a reality check. Ati is alot more game than in years past.

Yes 3dfx. Poor chaps had they only had an oem market they would have survived.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    Is this Mac compatible?

I don't seem to find anything that says Mac supported, if not, how long do you think it will take?
  • Reply 10 of 11
    what's up with the time displayed here.

It says I'm posting at like almost 2am?
  • Reply 11 of 11
    A pdf on Nividias site shows Macintosh listed in Supported OS.