CB Radios

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Maybe we need an "Analog Hub" forum

Who knows about these things? I want to listen in on what the truckers say about traffic on I-94. I'm hitting to many traffic jams and don't know what the cause is or if I should give up and take local roads. I don't think range is important because there's plenty of trucks to listen in on near by.

Advice? Opinions? Suggestions? Power? Cost? ...?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 15
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    CB's rule. don't know beans about them though.

we used them for my senior year (highschool) road trip. cheap, easy, and no worrying about reception. great way to keep in touch over a few mile range. but that's about all i know about 'em.
  • Reply 2 of 15
    scottscott Posts: 7,431member
    Okay great!
  • Reply 3 of 15
    Why didn't I try this before?

http://www.cbradios.com/
  • Reply 4 of 15
    i can tell you what truckers would say about I-94!

it sucks!

bumper-to bumper all the way to cream city (milw) but they're goin' 90mph!

now comin' back into chicago, has it never not been a crawl at the merge?

oh and it'll be slow by the roller coasters, and invariably an accident will occur and then there'll be a gaper's block (did you know gaper's block is a chicago only thing?) and you'll never get home in time for supper and when you do you'll need three drinks just to unfrazzle your nerves.

that's what they'll say i bet.
  • Reply 5 of 15
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    This probably won't be that helpful, but it's still kinda cool. Good for before you get in the car, unless you have a fancy PDA type thingy..
  • Reply 6 of 15
    Okay so how does that help me in Kalamazoo? Besides by the time I get to Gary I'm already on the Toll Road/Skyway. Also how do I surf the web while driving?
  • Reply 7 of 15
    listen to anne maxfield on wgn, plus she's to die for....
  • Reply 8 of 15
    Does she report on traffic in Michigan?
  • Reply 9 of 15
    boy i don't know about michigan, but she always solves the skyway/tristate dilemma for me.
  • Reply 10 of 15
    I'm off the first exit in Chicago after getting past the toll. In fact if the bridge weren't down to one lane I'd have no traffic in Chicago at all. I need help with I-94 in MICHIGAN ( you know 94 is a long road ). You people are useless. Except for you alcimedes
  • Reply 11 of 15
    oh, so you don't wany my I-94 tips for driving in MN?

• Reply 12 of 15
    drewpropsdrewprops Posts: 2,321member
    Owning a CB is a great idea for anyone who's driving over 400 miles on a trip...especially if you're carpooling, although the inexpensive Family Radios would now be my first suggestion for car-to-car chatter.

I remember one trip with a buddy of mine, I drove my car and he drove a 24' box truck. I was the Bandit and he was the Iceman. Going through Tennessee at night we hit a stretch that was under construction and the truckers were being forced into scrubbing their tires against concrete barriers which were right next to the lane.....the little four-wheelers (regular passenger cars) wouldn't give the truckers any slack, insisting on blasting up the fast lane past them. We got into a conversation with a trucker and the next thing you know Iceman was blocking the slow lane and I was blocking the fast lane.....bingo bango, eight tractor trailers in front of us split the difference and rode the centerline for the next three miles until we got out of the construction zone.

Don't know that I'd do that these days though....

Anyway, CB's are great.
  • Reply 13 of 15
    does 94 go to hell?
  • Reply 14 of 15
    at least between the Twin Cities and Madison, I-94 is hell frozen over in winter.
  • Reply 15 of 15
    Quote:

Originally posted by superkarate monkeydeathcar

does 94 go to hell?

Comes close by.

So can anyone tell me if I get the run of the mill 40 channel CB will that do what I want. Listen into truckers giving detail about road conditions? Or are they off the 40 channel CB?