Better display of [extremely] long filenames?

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
In keeping with the topic of the other thread, I sometimes find myself giving a file a name that is extremely long (say >60 characters, especially when naming MP3's along the logical naming scheme: "artist - album - track# - title.mp3") Now, finder windows will only let you slide the filename column so far, and sometimes this is not enough. Is there a way to alter this behaviour so that I can see my entire filename (by, for example, overriding this finder window behaviour, or setting the font size for the finder/some windows smaller)?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Okay, color me stupid, the font size is just in the cmd-j menu (view options). But still, at 10pt (the smallest), the entire filename still won't show. So how about moving the column or something else still?
  • Reply 2 of 4
    buonrottobuonrotto Posts: 6,368member
    IIRC, Tinkertool lets you add more lines to the Finder's name field. I don't know of a way to make them longer than 32 characters per line though.
  • Reply 3 of 4
    code mastercode master Posts: 344member
    If panther has all the cool metadata, you won't need to name files like that
  • Reply 4 of 4
    code mastercode master Posts: 344member
    If you use column view, you can make it as wide as you want, just click on one to get the preview showing, drag the column (holding option) over, scroll back into the preview and repeat.