iPod as mobile 'home' directory?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
ok here's the beef:

i'm leaving rome and going back to the UK tomorrow with an as of yet unconfirmed place to call home.

with me i'll be taking my iPod and other lightweight gadgets of usefullness.

what i just considered but am not sure if it's possible - but it would be cool if it was - is to make a 'home' directory on my iPod that when i visit friends, i can just plug in my iPod and log on as 'mobile me'. the host would load my prefs/account/etc from the iPod and bish bosh bob's your aunties live in lover (if you know what i mean).

now i know that this will need a bit of terminal trickery as the ipod volume would need mounting via the command line.

this is all fine but... how?

is it possible?

thanks

ps: thought this belonged here rather than dig-hub as anyone that can answer this is a genius in my book

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    robsterrobster Posts: 256member
    Use Carbon Copy Cloner to copy you're whole HD over to the iPod.

Then you can plug it in to any FW equipped Mac, hold down the option key at startup and choose to boot from your iPod...easy!

I know it's not just the home directory but it'll work as you want...

look for CCC on versiontracker.com
  • Reply 2 of 2
    You should also be aware that the hard disk inside of the iPod is not meant for lots of stress. This means if you boot an operating system off of it, you're talking about a lot of read/write operations. The drive in the iPod will have a significantly shorter lifespan by forcing it have to read and write more.

I'm not saying it will not work, and I'm not saying that you should not do it... you can decide that. I am saying that you could kill your drive exponentially quicker than you would have otherwse.

There are only two types of hard drives: Those that have failed and those that will fail. This is just going to speed up the process.