Got an iPod with somebody's music on it...

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
A pal of mine bought a used iPod with music loaded on it. Why won't the iPods music show up in his iTunes? Is this a security thing?

Can I "hack" it to let the iPods music show up in iTunes?

How does my pal clean-off the iPod and start from scratch with his own music library? Can he erase the iPod in the Finder like a "normal" drive?

My pal has 2 Macs, an iMac and a G4 tower (with iTunes 4 and FireWire on both). He has music on both Macs. If he loads some music onto the iPod from the iMac, and then connects the same iPod to his G4 tower, can he blend his music from both Macs onto 1 iPod? How? Does he need to libraries/Playlists? Or is he "locked" to one Mac?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 1
    gabidgabid Posts: 477member
    Quote:

Originally posted by dstranathan

A pal of mine bought a used iPod with music loaded on it. Why won't the iPods music show up in his iTunes? Is this a security thing?

Can I "hack" it to let the iPods music show up in iTunes?

How does my pal clean-off the iPod and start from scratch with his own music library? Can he erase the iPod in the Finder like a "normal" drive?

My pal has 2 Macs, an iMac and a G4 tower (with iTunes 4 and FireWire on both). He has music on both Macs. If he loads some music onto the iPod from the iMac, and then connects the same iPod to his G4 tower, can he blend his music from both Macs onto 1 iPod? How? Does he need to libraries/Playlists? Or is he "locked" to one Mac?

I think the iPod utility that you use to update system software (you can download it from Apple if you don't have the disk) can reformat the iPod.

If you want at the music that's already on the iPod there's freeware and shareware out there that lets you do this (never used it myself), but I'm pretty sure that if you have Jaguar and you search for files ending in .mp3 it will show you all the files on the iPod then you can drag them over to your harddrive. But, technically that's illegal.