iMovie transitions noise

Posted:
in iPod + iTunes + AppleTV edited January 2014
I am about to finish an iMovie 3 project and found an irritating problem, which I can't seem to find a solution to. This seems to be a wide spread issue, given the long list of users complaining at Apple discussion forums. Yet, I am not sure if this is a software bug or if there is an undocumented trick/way to make it work correctly.

I saved a bunch of stills from my kids movie clips and wish to put them at the end of the movie, using crossdissolve transitions between them. After arranging the stills in sequence, they playback correctly with hard cuts between them and no sound or noise. But when I add any transition, say the above mentioned crossdissolve, a loud buzzing noise appears just as the transition starts. Different transitions produce different noises, like loud pops or shocks.

I have tried everything, like editing the sound level of the transitions to zero. This way, instead of getting a buzzing sound for the duration of the transition, all I get is a loud short buzz right at the start. This is still undesirable.

Comments or tips?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 4
    thegeldingthegelding Posts: 3,230member
    i had this too and had to remove some tranistions i wanted...it is quite strange and i haven't figured out how to fix it...hopefully we will get an iMovie fix soon

g
  • Reply 2 of 4
    tchwojkotchwojko Posts: 139member
    Just out of curiosity, have you tried creating a silent audio clip and then add it to the movie during the transition?
  • Reply 3 of 4
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Quote:

Originally posted by tchwojko

Just out of curiosity, have you tried creating a silent audio clip and then add it to the movie during the transition?

Interesting idea, you think this would replace the audio/noise during the transition? I will give it a shot first thing tomorrow morning and post my results.
  • Reply 4 of 4
    bill mbill m Posts: 324member
    Well, I have finally found a simple solution to the annoying transition noises. It also seems to have solved a minor audio sync problem after exporting. Only drawback is that I had to re-work my project from scratch.

Just arrange, crop, etc.. all the video clips to your liking and *EXTRACT* the audio from *ALL* the video clips *BEFORE* applying any transitions. This is the crucial step. Once you are finished extracting audio from all your video clips, you can start applying transitions.

When you extract audio from a video clip, it just copies it to one of the audio tracks and leaves the original untouched yet its audio level down to zero. After applying transitions, you can now mute the video track audio channel (top check box on timeline view) and enjoy clean audio projects. Extracting audio from your video clips before applying transitions, saves it on a separate track which is not disturbed by the transition itself, other than the expected audio mixing. This will leave you with just one empty audio track for background music and stuff, but more than enough for simple iMovie projects.

Seems to me that transitions mess up the audio data on the video track during rendering, therfore it has to be muted. I just finished a 30+ minute home movie of my kids with lots of transitions and stills, background music, etc... with perfect results. I exported it to Toast VideoCD and it plays back great on my big screen TV / DVD player.